Live testing after release

Dave Cobb June 13, 2019

We've started to use JIRA within our company and we've tried to keep things as simple as possible. What is causing us some pain is with the management of post-live testing tasks.

Our current process is simplified as:

1. Workflow:
    1. Build
    2. Code Review
    3. Test
    4. Done 
  2. Release version
  3. Post Live Testing / Sign-off

We have user-stories with sub-tasks of: build, code review, test & post-live testing.

The issue that we have with approach is that we can't mark all sub-tasks as done because the story needs to be released to live prior to starting the post-live testing sub-task.

I appreciate that we could release user-stories that aren't fully done, however, I don't like the idea of doing this from a reporting perspective.

Is it better to have the Post-Live Testing task as a separate user-story/task linked to the user-stories that have been released? 

How do you manage post-live testing tasks within your projects?

1 comment

Comment

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2019

Hi @Dave Cobb 

What do you do when there are bugs found during post-live testing? Fix in the next release? Roll back?

Dave Cobb June 13, 2019

Depends on the severity of the bug, we would try to raise bugs and prioritise for the next release where possible.

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2019

It really depends on your team's definition of done of a story. If you are releasing to prod then I am more inclined to keep it as a separate story.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events