Link story point estimation to customer billing (time)

Mickael Maujean April 11, 2023

Good Morning,

Hope this is the right place to start this discussion. I wish to solve an issue I'm facing in my company where I need to connect our products development to our customer billings and contract estimation (budget wise)

Indeed, the dev team is working in an Agile environment with SP estimation. The outcome is satisfying and the team is happy.

However I'm having difficulties to outcome one of the key project outputs for the business : Budget status

Since the initial contract is estimated in time and the monthly invoices are based on a number of days worked on the project it is not easy to have accurate results and real numbers as it involves SP/Hours matching

Shall we revise our procurement and billing culture in order to find a better and more accurate way to align with Agile product delivery ?

Thank you

2 comments

Comment

Jens Schumacher - Released_so
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 11, 2023

It is generally not recommended to use story points for billing purposes. Story points are a relative unit of measurement used in Agile development to estimate the effort required to complete a task or user story. They are not intended to be a precise measurement of time or cost.

Here is a good article on why it's not a good idea to link the two. You might want to take a look at Tempo, that's what the app focuses on.

Cheers,
Jens

Released.so - Release notes powered by Jira

Susan Wu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

If you are using Timesheets by Tempo, you can track billable time with Tempo Accounts and use Account gadgets  to track monthly budget in hours.

Best regards,

Susan

Tempo Product Expert

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events