Large scale JIRA consolidation

Taylor Huston April 5, 2018

I'm a JIRA Admin that's recently been tasked with a fairly large projects. I am working with a company that has approximately 17-20 different JIRA instances across their organization. Some Server (at varying versions, some as old as 6.4), some Cloud. I have been asked to consolidate all of them into a shiny new JIRA Data Center instance.

I think I have a pretty solid game-plan based on the official documentation and my own experiences, but I've never personally done something at quite this scale, so I am more than open to any input or tips from other people who might have. Things I should look out for, edge cases I may not have thought of, etc.

We will be making liberal use of https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator/server/overview to handle the project exports and imports.

3 comments

Comment

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2018

This sounds challenging - do keep us informed on how you go about it and challenges you face. We'd be watching this post here for sometime I bet. :-)

I'm excited to learn quite a lot from this experience of yours.

One question though - are you planning to consolidate all 17-20 of them into one instance now ? 

Not all in one day or anything, but eventually they will all be in the same Data Center instance.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2018

Right - so are they all running same JIRA type or is that also varying , say some just on JSD , some just on Core , some on Software, some running all three in one instance ? Or is the use uniform ?

Most are Software, I don't think there are any SD instances, but we are still trying to track them all down and who exactly owns them, etc.

Deleted user April 12, 2018

Hi Taylor,

Our team recently completed a similar effort for Johnson & Johnson - we consolidated 15 instances into a Data Center (it is quite shiny, to be honest :D).

I'm not gonna lie - this is a challenging endeavor. We are currently making a case study with them, and looking back at the entire process - it was quite the journey! Also - even if the consolidation goes relatively smoothly, you'd need to set some maintenance & governance criteria in place, otherwise that shiny new Data Center can become a nightmare to manage.

We used Configuration Manager for Jira for the bulk of the work, but if you wanna know more details - ping me at bianka.banova@botronsoft.com and me or someone from the team can give you some pointers at how to go about this. 

Also...good luck. I mean it :-) 

Like Vickey Palzor Lepcha likes this
Deleted user October 15, 2019

Like Vickey Palzor Lepcha likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events