Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Json export from Jira and import in another jira instance with attachments

Roberto Messina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 27, 2021

Hello all.

We are trying to json export issues from main jira instance and to import in a secondary jira install.

It works very well in many aspects I think it is still best than project import, but it has a weakness, an inexplicable and incomprehensible weakness, It is no possible to import attachments. (at least we couldn't)

What we cant understand is that your exported json file from system A is perfectly understandable by system B (both jira servers, same versions, etc) but you can't carry attachments.

We tried many ways, copying the attachment to the folder in the same place were it will be in destination system but it is ignored when you import Json issue.

We cant understand why it is ignored if the attachment file has the same name (numeric name) that is specified in Json.

Also we tried putting attachments in Attachment folder into import folder, also ignored.

The json file (attachment section looks like) so we recreate the same folder system but it is ignored. we cant understand why.

2021-04-28_004647.png

After that we saw a documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-json/

There it explains a way to form your json code to import attachments but we have to reformulate the whole attachment section, it is a lot of effort if you want to import hundreds of issues.

So again, we cannot understand why the json code generated in the origin is not valid to handle the attachment import task and you have to refurbish to the right side code style.2021-04-28_005415.png

So, the million dollar question, Has anyone been able to do Json attachment import without having to reformulate code?

Regards.

2 comments

Comment

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Hi! 

did you check in attachments table the value ?

I did without reformulating in Jira 6, after started  to use csv, configuration manager  or do post changes in DB:) 

Prince_Service_Rocket April 28, 2021

Preparing a proper json file to import issues into another instance is pretty much difficult. Besides getting the proper format there are other factors that needs to be considered as a whole prior to import if not, you don't get some sections imported. However for attachment of issues, this is relatively a small issue, you can use API to import attachments after the issues has been importing using a csv export from your issue search.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events