JQL is a nightmare

DrChills February 16, 2018

So I wanted to see if anyone else has problems with JQL being the only way to filter and sort?

I find it insane that it's the only option. 

Typically it takes me about 20mins to google and then write JQL, but to be honest I just don't really bother - randomly scan-read tickets and picking them up.

Basic filter and sorting should be so easy to implement; A 'Filter' button at the top of the page, a side menu floats in, some checkboxes and selects = assigned to me, sort by priority, unassigned, with label blah

It's neither complicated nor revolutionary; it's just standard. Obviously, JQL is clever and powerful, but it's not for everyone. 

Try watching teams in the real world. I bet you'll see more people bumbling through Jira than you expect!

3 comments

Comment

Joel Ireland February 16, 2018

Personally I like JQL , but i am a heavy SQL user so i guess it just comes naturally. There is a "Non - Advanced " mode that lets you add and remove components to a filter. I believe you can get to this by using the filter creator. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2018

Most of my job has been working with teams who need to search Jira.  The basic search is enough for a big proportion of them.  Have you tried that?

But when they need to use JQL, most take to it like a duck to water, stumbling only on precedence (how have several clauses joined with and and or might work) and needing a bookmark for the functions references for the really clever stuff.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2018

I think Nic brought up a good point. The basic search is good for most of the users and of course the more "special" your search has to be, the more confident you have to be with writing good queries and using the right functions/operators/etc. . And the advanced search documentation is a must-have for that but at least the doc is pretty good :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events