JIRA Incoming mail

An Luu November 15, 2017

Hi

I tried to set up incoming mail with my gmail account.

The connection works but my project started creating issues of ALL the emails from my gmail. Is this normal behavior?!

Br 

An

2 comments

Comment

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

Hello,

Yes, it is expected behavour. It will create issues from all available emails in your mail box.

An Luu November 15, 2017

Thanks. It was not clear from the documentation that it will import all existing emails.

RianS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

This is expected. However, you can adjust the settings for incoming mail to look at a folder in the incoming email account. Then if you are creative with Gmail's filter options, you can put incoming emails that only fit a criteria you would like into that folder and JIRA will only act on those emails.

You can also do the opposite if there are much fewer emails you wish to exclude from JIRA processing. You can create a folder for these "Do Not Process" emails and have a Gmail filter "skip the inbox" and drop those emails there and JIRA will ignore them.

This can also be used to also separate requests for mail handling by different projects, issue types by sorting at the email inbox level into different folders and have different mail handlers look at these individual folders.

An Luu November 15, 2017

There should be an option to import all existing mails or only new mails.

How do I turn off incoming mails? When I realized it was importing all my mails I immediately deleted the incoming mail server and mail handler, but it still continued importing. I had to restart the Jira service for it to stop.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Why?  There will be no "existing mails" at any time other than the initial "we're going to set up Jira to process mail", at which time, you should do the obvious check of "what old stuff might it pull in"

In real life, there is no distinction between your "existing mail" "new mails" - it's nonsense to computers who you are telling to process a pile of things in one place.

An Luu November 16, 2017

In my case it started importing all my mails from years ago. I don't know what you mean by no distinction between new mail and old mail.

I just think there should be an option to only import new incoming mails in my mail account, from the moment the mail server is created or turned on. At least make it more visible that that is what is going to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

But that makes no sense.  It's not going to be an account you actually use for email, so there's no point in having any email in it, and in most cases, people will want to import any that are there.  Also, if Jira is stopped, it's going to need to go back and process things it missed, and the only way it can know what it missed is that they are in the inbox.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events