Is it possible to limit visiblity of issues within the same project?

Michele Swoager January 25, 2018

I have one project but I need to limit issue visibility between external customers.

So Customer A cannot see Customer B's issue and vice versa.

I have looked at issue level security but have not had any luck.

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Michele

2 comments

Comment

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2018

Hey Michele,

what where you missing when looking at the Issue-level-security? Have you tried for example to set up a role for each customer and configure the security levels and permissions of the project for testing? Where do you especially need help? :) Out of curiosity, does a customer have more than one account or are you using shared accounts for customers?

Best,

Max

Michele Swoager January 25, 2018

Hi Max, 

Basically nothing seemingly worked after I added the issue level security.  :-(  I created one issue and can never see it anywhere.  :-|  Clearly I don't know what I am doing.

There would be two different customers; each customer having multiple accounts.

For Customer A,  I will have User 1, User 2, User 3

For Customer B, I have User 4, User 5, User 6

If User 1, User 2, or User 3 logs in they should only be able see Issue 1, 2, and 3

If User 4, User 5, or User 6 logs in they should only be able to see Issue 4, 5, 6

Does that help clarify my issue?

Thanks for your help!

Michele

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2018

Hi Michele,

on which Jira version are you running? In the recent versions it should not be possible to select a security level you're not a member of to prevent what sounds like you are experiencing at the moment (from my experience). Have you added yourself to the security levels you created for Customer A and Customer B to always have access? Will get back to you later, it's getting late here! ;) Good luck so far and don't despair. ;)

Max

Michele Swoager January 26, 2018

Hi Max, 

We are running the hosted version of Jira so not exactly sure the precise version number.

Is there a certain place I can find that?

Thank you for your help!
Michele

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Hey Michele,

Jira Cloud version is always "the latest", there is no versioning for that product as Atlassian is constantly deploying and also testing new features and enhancements. Could you provide a screenshot of your security levels maybe please?

Best,

Max

Hi Max, 

Is there an article or help topic that may help?  I am not even sure I am using the correct thing.  I was attempting this using issue level security but that seems tedious and also appears it will only work for one customer since only one issue level security theme can be associated with a project.  :-(

Any documentation which may help me with this is greatly appreciated.  :-)

Thank you!
Michele

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Hey,

you associate on issue security scheme with a project correct. But you can have lots of security levels maintained in that scheme. So you can have two levels - one for each customer. Your internal users are member (like a general available group, e.g. jira-software-users) of both levels as they should be able to see everything. You can start reading here:

Configuring issue-level security

Hi!

I have read that article; no matter what I seemingly do only one security schema will ever show up with the issue is created.  

I was hoping this would be like setting up security in other systems where you put people in a group and then say this group only has access to this certain set of things.  It may be this is possible in Jira but currently it is proving more difficult than I had hoped.

:-(

Michele

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Hey Michele,

with level will show up? If it is "none" that's not a security level, that's is basically the indicator for no available level (in JQL level = NULL or level = EMPTY). Have you added yourself to the available security levels?

I can only get one security level to show up when creating a new issue; it is the one that I selected under the Project settings.

I am convinced that I am doing something wrong but unsure what.  :-|

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Yes, why don't you create additional security levels to choose from? Right now it sounds like you have associated an Issue Security scheme with the project. That's correct. And this Issue Security scheme does only have one security level, where there should be at least two according to your use case. Look at this quickly made-up example of an Issue Security Scheme with different security levels for unsecured issues, Customer A, Customer B and internal users.

2018-01-26_20h21_10.png

Thanks Max!  I was able to get that setup but it appears that I may need to do something with the permission scheme of the project to further limit access.  So preventing Customer A from seeing anything that has to do with Customer B.  I could still see boards that have Customer B data when logged in with Customer A users.

Is that true?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Hey Michele, they can see the board but should not see any issue with a security level excluding them. Can you confirm that? So maybe best edit the board settings: who is the board and the filter shared with

€dit; and of course you have to check with your permission scheme and the way you are managing your external users as well. And best doublecheck with testing. ;) I'll look at this thread again tomorrow Michele. Glad I could help out a bit so far.

Michele Swoager February 7, 2018

Hi Max!

I wanted to let you know that I was able to get things working...thanks to you!

Now issue security is working perfectly!  So happy!

Thanks again for all your help!

Michele

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Hi Michele,

I'm glad that I could help you with that. :)

Best, Max

Gopi K February 21, 2018

Hi Max,

Can you please clarify the below?

a) I have one project having one customer and our internal users, is it possible to restrict customer to view only issues created with value 'External' in the custom field 'Raised By'

b) I have one project having multiple customers and our internal users, is it possible to restrict one customer viewing other customer issues? also when the customer raising the issues, our custom field 'Customer' should be automatically updated with current login customer group

In both the cases, security level to be automatically set for the customer, instead selecting from the drop-down

Thanks for looking

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events