If your agile process was 100% open-source, what would you build or change?

Max Rehkopf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

If you weren't restricted by tools or traditional processes what would your agile practice look like? 

1 comment

Comment

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Dear @Max Rehkopf,

answer to the body question:

The main agile process are not restricting. They are so lean that there is nothing to(serious)  improve. Of cause, this requires the fully understanding of its philosophy.

All tools out there are setting boundaries. Many people, who do not understand the philosophy then understand "the tool is the process", because they have learned during their whole life to adapt and not to think out of the box.

answer to the subject:

An agile process is open source. Nobody can forbid or restrict that one is using or adapting it. To answer the second part I just quote the agile manifesto: "Individuals and their interactions over processes and tools". This strongly allows to change the processes when it is needed to fit to the requirements of the individuals, but without breaking the agile principles.

So long

Thomas

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

@Thomas DeilerThis should really be an answer, not a comment. You would have got my upvote ;)

Max Rehkopf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2018

I also really like this reply! I see varying degrees of "the tool is the process" all over the agile development space. Those observations prompted this discussion :-)

@Thomas Deiler Can you share any effective tactics to bring people from a tools-based mindset to an open-source mindset? 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2018

@Max Rehkopf, start at kindergarten with switching the individuals mind to think out-of-the-box ...

I would be a bad consultant, if I would write an answer to your question, because the non-out-of-the-box-thinking-individuals would take it as the truth.

It's all about individuals (and their cultural background), so each coaching approach will be "custom made". If it would be that simple, you could just buy a book and act ...

So long

Thomas

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events