How to populate Description field with default value based on component field in JIRA

Vasanta Kumaar December 3, 2020

Hi All,

We have a requirement to display default value in Description field based on the values selected in Component Field. 

Can anyone provide suggestion.

Thanks,

Vasantakumaar

1 comment

Comment

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

Hi Vasantakumaar,

this is something usually ScriptRunner in a Server environment is used - in case you have this App already it should be easy to get started.

There is even an example which describes nearly exact your use case - just for the Component-requirement you would need to insert some additional code:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.5.8/jira/behaviours-overview.html

Without any additional apps this kind of dependency will not be possible.
Even worse: also putting a default text (without any dependencies) to description is something that is still to come (hopefully!): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-4812

Cheers,
Daniel

Vasanta Kumaar December 7, 2020

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

Yeah we have the script runner plugin, I have tried to work on it but not able to validate the components field.

Could you provide help me on this.

Thanks,

vasantakumaar

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2020

I have no use case for the components field and never implemented a solution for it.
You would have to do it on your own or probably somebody from Community will contribute to this.

Vasanta Kumaar December 7, 2020

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

I have created a script and tested in our testing environment and it's working.

def formComponent = getFieldById(getFieldChanged())
def desc = getFieldById("description")

def defaultValue1 ="""Test 1""".replaceAll(/ /, '')
def defaultValue2 ="""Test 2""".replaceAll(/ /, '')
def defaultValue3 ="""Test 3""".replaceAll(/ /, '')

List componentFieldValues = formComponent.getValue().collect {it.getName()}

if ("comp1" in componentFieldValues) {
desc.setFormValue(defaultValue1)
}
else if ("comp2" in componentFieldValues) {
desc.setFormValue(defaultValue2)
}
else if ("comp3" in componentFieldValues) {
desc.setFormValue(defaultValue3)
}

Thanks for your suggestion.

Vasantakumaar 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2020

Awesome! I am glad you got it working.

Cheers,
Daniel

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events