We use the following product development process at our company:
- We have our regular development sprints,
- But before any feature or UX improvement goes into a development sprint, it has to pass a design sprint. Design sprints are similar to dev sprints: tasks are identified, pulled into a 2 week design sprint and pass through stages.
Now we basically want to implement the design sprint as part of Jira. This is what we have achieved so far:
1. We'd use one project, not two. Reason being that the design task, let's call it Feature A, has many dependencies (attachments, unique ID, integration to other systems, ...) which we would like to retain as it goes through the design sprint and then enters the development sprint. Basically, we re-use the same task for both sprints.
2. We have created separate jira issue types - "UX Improvement" and "New Feature" - for design sprints. (DONE)
3. We created a separate board for design sprint. Our design sprint is filtered to use only tasks of "UX" and "Feature type", while our dev board is filtered to "Task", "Bug", "Story".
What we haven't achieved and need help with:
1. Our workflow looks like this right now:
New feature -> Design todo -> design in progress -> dev todo -> dev in progress -> ...
New bug -------------------------------------------------------------------^
The problem is Jira workflows seem to only allow one entry point in the workflow. So we either are creating new issues in the "dev todo" stage (good for bugs since they don't require design, bad for features), or we create new issues in the "design todo" stage (good for features, bad for bugs).
2. Upon completion of a task in design sprint (going to last lane), we want it to automatically change to a "task" or "story", but remain as a "todo" and not be "completed". Otherwise, it wouldn't show up as an available story when going to the dev board.
Looking forward to hearing suggestions!
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot