Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you suggest to work with bugs that are opened by Support and added to the Dev team sprint

Lior Pesoa June 20, 2019

Hi,

I would love to hear how you work with bugs that are opened by Support team and added into your dev teams.

Do you have two different projects for Support and your Dev teams?

Or you have the same project, but different boards?

I ask this because Support are using components (which are the same like the one they have in Intercom). Components can't be shared between projects, so if there is a separate project for Support and Dev, my only option is to Move a bug and lose the component.

I wonder how you work?

P.S.

I prefer to have a separate project, so it is more easy to maintain screens, workflows and such.

2 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2019

Just my thoughts here. Ultimately the best way is the one that works for all/most of your teams.

• If the dev team actually is the support team, which often is the case, then I would definitely use a single project.
  • If the support team is separate then I either would certainly work but I generally like to avoid project explosion as it becomes unwieldy at times. The pro of separate projects is that the bugs will not clutter your sprints if you are using scrum.
  • As you mentioned, if the support team finds that an issue in their project needs to be handled by Dev then it either needs to be moved or it needs to be linked.
  • If your support issues are coming in from customers (internal or external) then I would use JSD for the support side and use "create linked issue" to the Dev project to address bugs/improvements.
Lior Pesoa June 20, 2019

Hi!

thank you for your reply!

The situation is as follow:

1. Support and dev teams are different teams.

2. We have 2 sort of bugs: hotfixes (which come from support and general production bugs).

3. Support use components.

4. If i have 2 separate projects for support and the dev team, then i am unable to show the bugs on the dev team board, because of the different projects and i will have to move them to their project, then support won't know the status of the bugs.

5. If i have 1 project, then i can show them (using JQL) on the boards, but it might make my life harder, having to build different workflows and screens in the same project.

i understand you suggest to use the same project with different boards?

Tobias Binna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2019

Hey @Lior Pesoa 

Just chipping in here because you mentioned Intercom. I am from ToolsPlus, creator of the  Intercom for Jira solution. Not 100% sure if the app can help with your use case but we basically try to facilitate an efficient workflow between support teams in Intercom and engineering teams in Jira.

The app allows your support teams to create Jira issues directly from Intercom. When you do so, they are linked  - similar to how it works in Jira. Now, your support team in Intercom can see issues type, status, and assignee next to their Intercom conversations and receive live updates as the engineering team resolves the issue or leaves comments.

I am not sure if it's required for your support team to be in Jira at all or if they mainly work in Intercom - in which case the app might be a good fit.

Feel free to give the app a try - it's free for the first month and do let me know if you have any further question.

Tobias

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events