Here Be Dragons should be updated or not?

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

Hi,

Yes.. Here Be Dragons.. Anyone know it? Probably many of you.. If not here is the link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/atlas/guide-to-installing-an-atlassian-integrated-suite/here-be-dragons

That game teaches people how to set up and integrate many Atlassian tools together. By completing this you can become a master Dragon Slayer that knows how things are configured :) (and get a cool T-Shirt for all the effort too which is nice).

Over the years is was very good guide that we give to people that started journey with Atlassian tools. Currently it is starting to become very out of date..

According to Atlassian End of Life Policy we are far behind of using JIRA 6.3.x, Confluence 5.7.x .. and other tools that are part of the game. In addition it does not include or even mention new tools like ServiceDesk, HipChat (Stride), StatusPage, Trello, ..

I personally think that this game is super important, but not in this form.. old versions and tools. Would be great to have it supporting all current tools and versions. In addition I noticed that there is not longer a green T-Shirt available (only the blue standard Atlassian one). Over the years it was the same.. 

Does it all this mean that you would like to no longer make Dragon Slayer available, up to date and .. provide ability to learn by fun?

Wondering what you think? Did you completed the game ever? Would you like to have still such a game that teach people how things work, or you do not care since no longer products are used only on prem and nobody cares anymore how to set up tools.. just register and simply create a support ticket or ask a question here on community..

Thanks,

Mirek

5 comments

Comment

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2018

I would be interested in an updated Dragon Slayer challenge. Our server admin has his green Dragon Slayer t-shirt and I would like the opportunity to get my own, but I am not interested in working with outdated versions of software.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2018

Exactly.. What is the benefit of completing a game that on software that is no longer supported?

SABVARX April 7, 2018

Hi Mirek,

yes, I went through the game when I was new to Atlassian and it was of much help and a good learning experience. I would appreciate to have the Dragons updated in order that new team members get the opportunity as well.

Cheers, Sabrina

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! Glad to hear that you were able to complete the Dragon Slayer. It is a good starting point to learn more about Atlassian products. I hope it will be updated.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

@Mirek,

See related topic in community developer

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/why-is-here-be-dragon-tutorial-so-out-of-date/14589

We also think that this document should be updated to at least current major version.

Like Gabriel Chaves likes this
Larry Leach November 8, 2019

I'll second the 'please update' commentary.  I had planned to use 'dragons' to learn JIRA from the ground up (or so I thought).  It is so badly out of date that I couldn't finish step two of stage one.  While I could try to slog through, that's not my goal.  Does anyone have alternative ways to get up to speed on JIRA ASAP?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2020

Hello y'all,

Thanks for the feedback you have given on this so far, and we are making some changes with dragon slayer.

Check out the announcement here, and please add additional feedback on this page:

Regards,
Earl

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events