Email API returns 401 error

Memory Team July 1, 2020

Our app is dependent on getting user emails. We are fetching emails using user_account_id when customers install our App for the first time.

When we are calling following API to get user's email:

GET /rest/api/3/user/email?accountId={accountId}

We are getting 401 Unauthorized error with HTML response.
We are calling this API as documented here (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/?_ga=2.238660480.1263124937.1593510644-624183373.1586256627#api-rest-api-3-user-email-get)

We are creating JWT token and passing it in the header for authentication.

We have added ACCESS_EMAIL_ADDRESSES scope for our app.

For few users we are getting email address with 200 OK response. But for some users, we are getting 401 Unauthorised error.

Thanks for your help!

1 comment

Comment

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2020

Did you get an Approval for the API by following the guideline here I believe without an Approval, you can only fetch users who's email visibility is set to anyone.

Memory Team July 1, 2020

Hi @Prince Nyeche ,

Thanks for quick response.

This explains why this is happening intermittently. It will be very helpful if you can point me to this setting of email visibility in the JIRA, So I can reproduce this issue with my test workspace as well?

No we haven't applied for this approval yet. I will follow these guidelines and apply for the approval.

Regards!

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2020

You will have to go here for your user under Contact set the email address to "Anyone" to allow visibility via API level.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events