Confluence Scavenger Hunt

Steve M February 7, 2019

I am working on rolling out Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket to my enterprise.  I am looking for fun and interesting ways to get people to dig deeper and investigate Confluence Macros, Jira Dashboards/Boards, Jira Filters,  BitBucket pipelines, etc.  They are only scratching the surface of the capabilities of the products. 

Has anyone created something like a Scavenger Hunt where the user is presented with maybe a Confluence template that has a bunch of check boxes of things they have to go do: create a page with a Jira macro in it, embed a youtube link in a page, add a task with a due date to a meeting note, advanced search for something hidden, format a page using more than just bullets, and more.

Having a scavenger hunt for Jira and BitBucket would be cool as well, but my first thought was for Confluence.

On the Scavenger Hunt idea, is there a way to track the users progress so that a Prize can be awarded on completion?

If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear how you did it and what things you made the user do/search.

3 comments

Jared Brenner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

Hi Steve,

This sounds like an interesting way to introduce your users to the new platforms!  With some coding it may be possible to track progress completing scavenger hunt items, but I think a quiz would be much easier to implement.  You could ask questions like "What's the background color of an Info macro?" or "What's the default width (in pixels) of the Text macro?".  Or assign each user a task on a page somewhere in your space and then have them find it and tell you what it is.  Since you know what your users will most often need to do it should be easy to shape your training and subsequent scavenger hunt around that.

As for implementing the quiz in Confluence, there are several apps in the marketplace that offer that functionality, most of them paid.  Your organization may already have an LMS you'd want to use, or you could even just try Google Forms.

Let us know what you implement!  I'm sure a lot of community members would like to do something similar.

Good luck!

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

Hi Steve M,

Since you've got the three major apps to entice your users with, go big! 

Set up a Scavenger Hunt space where the user has to create a page, perhaps using several macros like page properties, action list, excerpt inclusion, and a link to a Scavenger Hunt project epic in Jira. 

Then have them use the Jira action to create an issue in said Scavenger Hunt project epic.  Next, since you've linked the Scavenger Hunt project to a Scavenger Hunt repo in BitBucket, have them create a feature branch, add a "Hello world!" script (Python, Perl, etc), push it, and add a pull request (that you will be notified of and merge). 

To complete the cycle have them resolve their Jira issue once you've merged their pull request and finally have them check off the action item they created earlier on their Confluence page after reviewing the tracked issue via the Jira macro.

Cheers!

Lisa Yeager January 4, 2023

Hi Steve - I know this is an older thread, but we are in the process of doing something similar but for brand new users. I'd love to hear how the experiment went - i.e. if you did the scavenger hunt, any lessons learned, etc. 

We will be doing our scavenger hunt as part of a retreat and folks will be working in pairs. 

Steve Morris January 4, 2023

I didn't ever get the bandwidth to focus on this idea.  We are developing a new team with more members, so hopefully we can get back and try this.   Let me know how your retreat goes. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events