Choice between test management tools

Sébastien CORSYN January 9, 2020

Hello,

I am currently looking for a test management tool for the develpment of a medical device (software). The company I work for has chosen JIRA to manage this project, so the tool I am looking for must have a great JIRA integration. But what is the most important for us is the traceability. To get the CE marking, we are audited and we need to be ISO 13485 compliant.

Which JIRA apps is the best solution for us ? From what I have read, JIRA+XRAY Test Management for JIRA + Confluence + SoftComply eQMS would be a good basis to meet our requirements. Am I right ?

Thanks

Regards,

Sébastien

4 comments

Comment

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hi @Sébastien CORSYN ,

You don't know which one will best fit your team before you seeing and playing with them a little bit. So you can just search 'Test Management' in Marketplace and them check some of them in the top. You may ask demo from each vendor to learn more about these products. Then decide the one that you are going to use. 

Regards,

Cheney

Like Sébastien CORSYN likes this
Jason Christina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Completely agree. Each test management jira add-on should have a trial version that can be installed. We had a working group go through 3 of the highest rated / most installed based on the atlassian marketplace numbers. From there we picked which one worked best for us.

Brian Walker January 9, 2020

Hi Sebastien,

My vote goes to QMetry Test Management for Jira and I am using it personally from the past couple of years.

Here is the Marketplace Link:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215144/qmetry-test-management-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

- Brian

Sébastien CORSYN January 10, 2020

Hi Brian,

Thank you four suggesting QMetry Test Management for Jira, this tool seems a good one. Much better than Zephyr according to my first experimentations. More experimentations needed before a definitive choice.

Sébastien

Like Brian Walker likes this
Brian Walker January 12, 2020

I am agree with you :)

Let me know if you need any help in your experimentations as I have already done this exercise way back ago and would request you to share your opinion which will reallly help the other community users.

Sébastien CORSYN January 15, 2020

Hi @Brian Walker ,

I have tried QMetry, but I think their reports are not as good as the reports from XRay or RTM (Deviniti).

The best contender for us is currently XRay.

Regards

Sébastien

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I am currently playing with the few add-ons I have selected (Requirements and Tests Management for JIRA, XRay, Zephyr and QMetry Test Management for Jira). Can I use all of them at the same time on the same JIRA account ?

Sébastien

Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2020

Hi Sebastien, 
I you would need any information about Requirements and Test Management for Jira just let me know. I could provided detailed informations. 

If I remember correctly there is some conflict in Issue Types provided by Requirements and Test Management and Xray. 

Jarek

Hi Jaroslaw

That's why I asked if I could use several test management tools at the same time.

One of the most feature I look for is the traceability. Since we develop a software whici is a medical device, we have to be ISO 13485 compliant.

There are some ALM solutions including test management such as Orcamos, Intland Retina, Aligned Elements, Jama Connect, HelixALM or Tuleap. All of them except are expensive and not very user-friendly. Tuleap is cheaper and more user-friendly but not integrated with JIRA. The company is about to choose JIRA as a project management solution that's why I am now looking among applications from JIRA marketplace.

Sébastien

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2020

Hi @Sébastien CORSYN ,

Since there may some entities with same name used by different management tool, if you enable them all at the same time in your Jira instance, it may produce some problem. Some the best way to evaluate multiple test management plugins should be just enable ONE test management plugin each time, you can do it in 'Manage Apps' page (It is not necessary to uninstall them). 

By the way, you should also put synapseRT in you candidate list, as it provides a good traceability matrix between requirements and tests. 

Cheney

Sébastien CORSYN January 13, 2020

Hi @Cheney Ma [Go2Group] , synapseRT looks great but it is not available for Jira Cloud. I'm not sure my boss will choose a Jira Server version.

Thanks

Sébastien

Sébastien CORSYN March 6, 2020

@Cheney Ma [Go2Group] finally, Jira Server has been chosen by my bosses. So synapseRT is now very interesting for us. Thanks for suggesting me this tool.

Regards

Sébastien

Sbastien_Corsn April 27, 2020

Hi @Cheney Ma [Go2Group] , I am currently trying SynapseRT. I can link tests to requirements, but is it possible to link test to bugs too ?

Thanks

Sébastien

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2020

Bug is linked to Test Case through 'Test Run' (Test Execution). If you start your test execution from a Test Case, then in 'Test Case Run' dialog, you can either 'Link' or 'Create' bug/s from that test execution or test step.

If you have any other question or need a live demo, please raise a ticket at our support portal at: https://jira.go2group.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/12

Have a great day!

Regards,
Cheney

Sbastien_Corsn April 27, 2020

Yes, I know that but I want to link a bug (for instance reported to the service desk by a customer) to a test case or a test plan.

Thanks

Sébastien

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2020

You can either do below:

• Open Test Case issue, create a 'Ad Hoc Test Run', then link the bug to it (you can create a Ad Hoc Test Run to gather bugs those are reported in from your service desk etc.) 
  • Use Jira native 'Link Issue' option to link the bug to 'Test Case' issue.
Like Sbastien_Corsn likes this
Nina Marshall March 2, 2022

For people that use JIRA and XRAY - do the testers burn time in XRAY or JIRA?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events