Can a Project in New JIRA be accessed using an existing project in old JIRA?

Vanisree Valaboju October 14, 2020

Requirement or a Use case -

there was project in Old JIRA and as users complain that its not sufficing there need, we created same project in NEW JIRA with different configuration.

As we are working on Agile frame work, when a user selects the project in old jira can it open the project in new JIRA. so that issues can be created in new instead of old.

What are the possible options can JIRA provide in such scenario.

1 comment

Comment

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2020

Hi Vanisree,

if I got you right you are dealing with two Jira instances - an old one and a new one. Your users want to use the new one right away.

When it only comes to the URL they are typing in browser a redirect on reverse proxy level is a common fix. They will be redirected to the new Jira instance even when typing in the old address.

If they need to have all the existing issues in new Jira you would have to export them from old instance to new instance - I am not sure if this was done in your case.

A redirect from within old Jira to the project in new instance could be a lot trickier. In some cases this works also using the trick on reverse proxy level but you need to catch a lot of URL that need to be redirected.

In case you could clarify your use case a bit further community members are likely able to give more tips and tricks.

Cheers,
Daniel

Vanisree Valaboju October 26, 2020

Example 

Case study  - I have (1A to 10A) projects in Old JIRA (ABC.com) .1 project ( 1L ) in New Jira (XYZ.com)

Now the user want to access new jira with old jira. The old jira is not retiring but would like to go live with what we have so far in new jira. 

Now the ask is, I will log in ABC.com and can access 1A to 10A projects but instead of 9A project in old jira that needs to open the 1L project in new jira. what ever is created in 1L has to be created in new jira only, we dont want large audience to switch around the urls but using the old jira (ABC.com) and instead of 9A old project in old jira has to be now 1L (new project) in new jira (XYZ). 

Hope the above scenario gives you more detail view of the ask

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

Yes, this is a perfect use case for a redirect on reverse proxy level.
Here an example for the popular Apache webserver.

RewriteRule "^/browse/OUZEL(.*)$" "https://mynewjira.example.org/browse/MAGPIE$1" [R,L]
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events