Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Administration = full stack developer/integrator?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

As I was working through migrating away from a no-longer supported post function in my Jira instance to another, I was struck by something:

Two PFs that do essentially the same thing in the same way but the syntax of how access to Jira issue fields was markedly different - different enough that they felt like different coding languages.

As I thought about this, I realized that, depending on what I was trying to accomplish, I was using several coding languages and/or different techniques throughout my day. When one adds in, should you be an admin who also builds the environment, a lot of bases in an application stack are covered.

Consider: In my (fairly) recent migration to an entirely new operating environment and back again to daily operation, I end up deep in (non-exhaustive list):

• Linux
  • Shell scripting (including arcane sed, xmlstarlet, and awk scripts)
  • SQL
  • Docker
  • NGINX
  • A broad variety of AWS services
  • Groovy
  • HTML and CSS
  • XML
  • Java and JavaScript
  • Random cast of supporting characters

When one steps away from the strictly technical and add in the "thought leadership" where we, knowing what our tools can do, help our user base work out what a process should be and how to improve it... It's never boring. Since, with this variety, one never knows what a day might hold, it can be described generically as:

1. I come in each morning.
  2. I do stuff.
  3. I go home.

As such, I was wondering if any others in the community had this same thought.

I do have to say that this community is invaluable as, while the exact thing I might be trying to accomplish may not be here, bits and pieces from several others might make up my solution.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events