Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have multiple projects each with many Epics. We would like to be able to use a gantt chart

Mary Irion June 21, 2021

Any suggestions for an app or built in tool that would allow us to use a gantt chart to visually  track due dates for each epic across multiple projects?

5 answers

2 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Mary Irion ,

if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Jira Advanced roadmaps then you might like our new version of a simple portfolio roadmap Jira app Swanly (Looks like Gantt - but better 🤓) 

You can simply create cross-project epic roadmaps and keep your Jira project roadmaps in sync with Swanly.

If you're interested in more details you can read our latest community article on this topic that explains how it works or watch a short 3 min youtube video.

swanly-add-issues.png

I hope this helps!

Nikki

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Hi @Mary Irion ,

Sounds like you are looking for a project portfolio management tool? A way to get a gantt chart that visualizes everything across multiple projects?

There are few apps our there that can do that.

From Atlassian themselves you have Advanced Roadmaps (which comes with a Cloud Premium subscription)

Other ones include BigPicture, Structure, Swanly, ...

I'm partial to using Advanced Roadmaps if you have it or otherwise I'm a big fan of BigPicture.  Best might be to install some of them in a trial and play around with thema bit or set them up on a trial/demo instance.

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

Hi @Mary Irion 

For that you need to look at Advanced Roadmaps, that comes with Premium or an app like BigPicture.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 26, 2021

Hi @Mary Irion

As you may have noticed, there are a number of apps that can, to a greater or lesser extent, address your business needs. As @Dave Rosenlund has suggested, it's good to review the Marketplace's offer using desired functionality as a keyword. So here you can find Top-rated Jira apps for the phrases: PPM or Gantt.

My company's product - BigPicture/BigGantt, was mentioned in previous posts, and therefore, I would like to write a few words on how the plugin can support your work.

First of all, the Gantt module, among others, allows you to prepare your project schedule, visualize dependencies, track the execution, and generate reports by aggregating your task data.

Secondly, scope definition rules are flexible. For example, BigPicture/BigGantt allows users to create a defined collection of tasks based on a combination of multiple Jira projects, boards, or filters and display them all on the Gantt.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Mary Irion June 27, 2021

Anna - 

Thanks!  I find the set up directions very confusing.  It would be nice to have an organized step by step install of BigPicture/BigGantt for an  existing project.  Any suggestions?

Mary

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 28, 2021

@Mary Irion

Have you had a chance to get familiar with the Quick Start Guide?

Furthermore, I recommend participating in one of the open webinars that take place every Wednesday at 4 PM UTC (and every Friday at 7 AM UTC). The webinars include a 1h product demo followed by a 30-minute Q&A session. You can join a webinar using one of the links available on this page.

On the same page, you will find the video recording of a webinar. You can watch it and, if necessary, join just the Q&A session.

In addition, please find a list of our short video tutorials. I assume that in this case, the tutorial on how to manage Scope is the most helpful.

Regardless of the options, I mentioned above, you can simply ask a question in this thread. I will gladly guide you through step-by-step instructions.

Let's stay in touch!

Mary Irion June 28, 2021

The sessions ended 6/25.  A quick step through question:  I have several Jira Epics with associated tasks.  How do I add them to a BigGantt?

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
June 28, 2021

@Mary Irion

Firstly, please be noted that new demo webinar dates will be posted on softwareplant.com in the coming days.

Secondly, the scope can be defined by Jira Projects, Boards, or Filters. I assume that your collection of epics and related tasks contains issues from various projects (correct me if I am wrong). In this case, the simplest way is to create & save Jira Filter that includes the selected issues.

Please find a brief instruction below:

1. Go to BigGantt Home and create a new Program Box.

image - 2021-06-28T200256.449.png
  2. Once it’s done, you will see the pop-up with a link "Configure scope now." When you click it, you will be redirected to Scope Definition.

3. Expand "Automatic rules" and add a previously defined Jira filter to the "Filters" row. In the right top corner, you will see information on the number of tasks in the scope of your Box.
    image - 2021-06-28T200259.066.png

Alternatively, you may add a few Jira Projects/Filters/Boards to the relevant rows and use JQL Query to narrow down the scope by filtering or excluding issues.
image - 2021-06-28T200300.906.png

Anytime you want to change scope definition by adjusting it to emerging needs, please go to Box Configuration >> Tasks >> Scope definition.

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Hi, @Mary Irion.  As others have already said, there are a number of Project Portfolio Management options for Jira. 

With the exception of Advanced Roadmaps, from Atlassian, the others (more than mentioned above) can be found on the Atlassian Marketplace with a search like this:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=cloud&query=cross-project

Hope this helps,

-dave

P.S. Full disclosure: My company makes one of the ones mentioned, Structure for Jira.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events