Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Custom field on child issue

Joanna Mae Natial May 7, 2024

Hello,

I have a confusion about the custom field name renaming it on the child issue.

Supposedly I have a custom field "AD Qoute Review Due Time" that will appear on the Epic and Child issue screen, but due to some confusion we like to rename the field on the child issue to "QQ Due Time" but the same field on Epic.

But seems like I cannot edit it on the screen scheme.

2 answers

0 votes
Heenaben Sardarbhai Chaudhary May 7, 2024

Hey,
You cannot have different names for the same custom field on an Epic and its child issues within Jira directly. If you change the name of the field on the child issue, it will also change on the Epic since they are essentially linked to the same field definition in Jira.

Creating separate fields or using automation to copy values from one field to another based on certain conditions is indeed a viable approach to achieve different names or behaviors for fields in Epics versus child issues.

0 votes
Alex Wills May 7, 2024

Hey Joanna,

Are you trying to rename that existing field? 

If so follow this process: 

• Jira Settings - Issues
  • Fields
  • Custom fields
  • Find your field and edit the details
Joanna Mae Natial May 7, 2024

the field appears in both epic and child issues, but due to confusion, I want to rename the field on the child issue with the same field.

Alex Wills May 7, 2024

If it's the same field you won't be able to rename it just for the child issue. You'd be better off creating a new field and making that new field exclusive to that child issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events