Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking and Synching Trello to and with Jira Work Management

Steven S_ Bammel March 23, 2024

We have a Trello account which has been working well. But the project management features are lacking and so I was enthusiastic to get the invitation to a Jira Work Management account, especially as it's free for up to 10 users and our team is still smaller than that.

The connection between Trello and JWM is a bit fuzzy to me though and I have a few questions.

1. I see that I can import a single full board of Trello cards to a single JWM project. However, this isn't very useful. What I really want is to select individual cards from various Trello boards and link them into a single project that I can manage in JWM. Is this not possible?

2. For testing, I did import a full Trello board into a single JWM project and I see that all of the lists and cards were transferred. But how do I synch changes made in Trello to those same cards in JWM? Or vice versa? Having duplicate, but non-synched cards in two places is confusing and unworkable.

Thanks,

Steven

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2024

Hi @Steven S_ Bammel 

There's a decent blog on using Trello and JWM together - check out: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/productivity/trello-and-jira-work-management

You could also check out the Jira power-up: https://trello.com/power-ups/586be36326cc4c7e9f70beb3/jira

---

In terms of live syncs or similar, you'll need to consider what Apps exist for this. Check out Apps such as...

---

Finally, I would consider if you need both Trello and JWM - as having all issues in one platform might be simpler!

Ste

Thanks, Stephen. This is very helpful.

As for having all issues on one platform... Yes, that's something I'm trying to figure out. Atlassian started nudging me to try JWM and it's not been entirely clear how to separate the roles of the two spaces, and whether they're trying to get us to move, or use both, or what.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2024

Hi @Steven S_ Bammel 

It's up to you which products you use!

But it would be easier being in one instance. With Jira, you could also make use of other connected products - such as Confluence (free up to 10 users), and Jira Software (also free up to 10).

Ste

Oh, there's more?!

Why does Atlassian offer so many products that seem to look so very, very similar? Am I the only person who finds this confusing and overwhelming? I mean, I realize each tool has its proclaimed strengths and weaknesses, but aren't Trello, Confluence, and Jira Work Management all solving pretty much the same user needs to a large extent?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2024

Hi @Steven S_ Bammel 

There's a good blog on JSW vs JWM vs Trello here: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/project-management/trello-vs-jira

For me, the core difference is...

• Trello Boards are flexible views - the lists can be statuses, or assignees, or anything you like
  • Jira's Boards are process-based - and represent statuses in a workflow. Jira then has strong core features, such as issue search
  • In Jira Software, Boards can be Kanban or Scrum-based, and have greater flexibility as you can have multiple Projects in one Board

...so it depends what you're using it for.

---

Confluence is different, and is a collaborative team workspace, with whiteboards and wiki spaces/pages.

There's a whole range of other products worth checking out - see a summary on this page: https://www.atlassian.com/software

Ste

Steven S_ Bammel March 24, 2024

Alright, thanks. This is helpful too. Maybe it's just me then and I need to dive deeper and think harder about how to integrate the different tools. I certainly see a lot of useful features.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2024

I would get free versions of as many products as possible (in a test instance), and try the different features they offer :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events