Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom field appears just in reports

Beyer Gertrud January 26, 2024

Dear Community,

I would like to make a custom field, which doesn't appear on the project screens, but the actual content I would like to see in reports.

This field is fill by an automation, I write #status and a description as comment, and what I've written after #status appear in this field. I wouldn't like to see it on the screen, just in reports.

Is it possible to solve somehow?

Thank you very much!

Gertrud

2 answers

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 28, 2024

Hi @Beyer Gertrud 

It's Mary from Planyway

Yes, Gertrud, your requirement can be addressed in Jira Work Management with a combination of configurations and automation. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Create a Custom Field:

• Go to your Jira settings (as an admin), navigate to Issues, and then to Custom Fields.
    • Click on Create custom field. Choose the type of field that best suits your needs (e.g., Text Field (single line) or Text Field (multi-line)) and give it a relevant name (e.g., "Hidden Status").
    • After creating it, Jira will ask you to associate it with screens. You can skip this step or add it to a screen that's not used to ensure it doesn't appear on your project screens.
  2. Adjust Field Configuration to Hide the Field from Screens:

• Even if you didn't associate the field with any screen, ensure it's not appearing anywhere you don't want it to by checking the screen configurations for your project.
    • Navigate to Project settings > Screens, and ensure the custom field is not added to any screen used in your project.
  3. Automate to Populate the Field:

• Go to Project settings > Project automation (or System settings > Automation rules if you're a Jira admin and wish to create a global rule).
    • Create a new rule with the trigger being Issue commented.
    • Add a condition to check if the comment contains #status (you can use the Advanced compare condition to inspect the comment body).
    • Add an action to Edit issue fields, selecting your custom field created in step 1. Use smart values to extract the content after #status from the comment. The smart value might look something like {{issue.comments.last.body.split("#status").last.trim()}}, depending on how you want to parse the comment.
    • Save and enable the rule.
  4. Accessing the Field in Reports:

• Although the field won't appear on the issue screens, you can still access it in reports by using JQL (Jira Query Language) in filters, dashboards, or even directly when exporting issue data.
    • For instance, to create a filter that shows issues with any value in your custom field, you'd use a JQL query like project = YOURPROJECTKEY AND "Hidden Status" IS NOT EMPTY.
    • This data can then be used in Jira's built-in reports, dashboards, or exported for use in external reporting tools.
Beyer Gertrud February 16, 2024

Thank You very much! :)

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2024

HI @Beyer Gertrud ,

It might be just simply possible to remove them from the screen scheme, so they don't show up on the Issue screens. Then just pull up reports and JQLs for the data.

There's a hide option through the field configuration but that will will remove the field entirely from search.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events