Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we add some automation for Resource management ?

Alkanz Ali September 19, 2023

Can we add some automation for Resource management ?
i want to create an automation that, users can not be assigned tasks for more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week.
if someone assigns them the task a notification/ error occurs that task cant be aligned

1 answer

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2023

Hi @Alkanz Ali , thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, in the standard settings in Jira, the concept of a working day or working week doesn't really exist.

You can have in some of the Jira products, like Jira Service Management, you can have Service Level Agreements, where you can define a calendar and a working day. In Jira Work Management, you would need, I'm afraid, to add some kind of app, like Tempo to allow to define a calendar, with holidays / days off and working hours, also to include different time zones.

There are automation rules to help with the assignment, for example there is this possibility -

image.png

To do the assignment, from a list, on a balanced workload, at random, or going around so that each person gets an issue, the 'Round robin'.

I hope this helps, but if not, please give us your feedback here and either myself or someone else will try to help.

Cheers

Alkanz Ali September 20, 2023

Thanks @Valerie Knapp let me try implementing this automation. 
also what does round robin mean? are these methods available on default?

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2023

Hi @Alkanz Ali , thanks for your reply.

Here is some documentation that explains the different methods for doing the assignment with automation: Jira automation actions | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support

There are eight different options for assigning issues:

• A user in a defined list: An issue that passes a restriction (specified in JQL) is assigned to a user from a specified list of users using the method of your choosing. This can be:

• Balanced Workload: Ensures that each user in the list has the same number of issues assigned. The scope of these issues is defined by the JQL.

• Random: Assigns randomly from the list of users.

• Round-Robin: Assigns issues based on the sequence in the list of specified users.

• Another field value or comment: Assign the issue based on user field values on the issue or in a comment. For example, assign the issue to a previous assignee based on the issue history, or assign the issue to its creator. If you specify users to exclude, or groups the user must be in, any user not matching this requirement will be skipped and the action will continue looking for matching users (such as going further back in the issue history of assignees).

• Automatic: Assign the issue to the project's default assignee.

• Copy from another issue: Copy the assignee from a related issue. You can also use JQL to find an issue to copy the assignee from.

• Smart value: Assign the issue based on a smart value. For example, when an issue is commented on, you can assign it to the author of the comment. Learn more about user smart values.

• Specify user: Assign to a selected user.

• Unassigned: Remove existing user and set the issue as ‘Unassigned’.

• User who triggered the event: Assign the issue to the user who triggered the event.

• User in a role: Assign the issue to a specific role within a team.

• User in a group: Assign the issue to a user under a selected group.

• On-call responder: Assign the issue to who is on-call, based on a team's Opsgenie on-call schedule.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events