Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After creating a task, can you drag and drop to nest it as subtask of another item?

Vincent Holloway
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 25, 2024

I am creating tasks in Jira Work Management and notice that once a task is created, I can't easily make it a child of another item. Rather, I have to create subitems under a task. This functionality seems intuitive in other products so wondering if it exists, if I'm not seeing how to do it, or if it's a future feature.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2024

Hello @Vincent Holloway 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

No, that type of drag and drop functionality to change the type of an issue is not available in Jira.

You can use the Convert To Subtask action to change an existing issue from a standard level issue to a subtask. You will be required to enter the issue key for the issue under which you want it nested.

Do note that Jira natively supports just three levels in the issue hierarchy:

Epic > standard level issue types > subtask level issue types.

Vincent Holloway
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

Thanks! Where is the Convert to Subtask action located? Can't easily find. 

Also, is the drag and drop functionality on the roadmap?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2024

When viewing the issue details there is a ... button in the upper right corner.  Click on that to find the Convert to Subtask option.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 9.06.06 AM.png

To which "roadmap" function are you referring? I don't believe there is an option called Roadmap in Jira currently, but there are functions called "Timeline".

In the Timeline features (excluding the Timeline feature in Advanced Roadmaps Plans available in the Premium subscription), drag and drop can be used only to reorder/prioritize issues. It can't be used to change a child issue from one parent issue to another nor change the issue type.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events