What is the relation between Epic and subtasks ?

Pierre Allard December 20, 2021

Hello all,

I'd like to sum up in an Epic the time logged in tasks in this Epic, but it seems it's not possible, is that right ?

However it seems that time logged in subtasks can be summed in Epic:

Capture d’écran 2021-12-20 181343.png

But I'm not able to find how to add a subtask to an EPIC, even though I know it is possible:

Sans titre.png

Any idea please ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

Hi Pierre,

It seems this is a bug for Epics. You can vote for and follow the request here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17407

Pierre Allard December 23, 2021

Thanks a lot @John Funk ! Indeed it seems related.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Pierre Allard December 20, 2021

Ok I just found out an answer here : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-To-Display-Subtasks-on-Epic/qaq-p/1500467

So TS-964 was a task converted into an EPIC, that's why subtask section is still displayed.

But I still don't understand what this "Include subtasks" option is for...

Here is what I see in a new EPIC.

Capture d’écran 2021-12-20 185922.png

And in this Epic I've a task with this time tracking section:

Capture d’écran 2021-12-20 190304.png

Seems normal since I've also created a subtask in which I logged 5days.

But the question is why Epic time tracking section remains empty even though "Include subtasks" option is selected ?

Is this option a bug or a leftover of the time when subtasks could be linked to epics ?

And also why don't we have the "Include tasks" option available in Epic time loggin section ?  It would be so useful to me !

Thanks in advance for your help ! :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

This is all probably a bug from when you moved the task to an Epic. Sub-tasks don't directly roll up under Epics, so I wouldn't expect Epics to include time directly from Sub-tasks. 

However, are the Sub-tasks not linked to a Task? Is that option selected to roll the time for the Sub-tasks up to the Task? And is that working? Or are the Sub-tasks just orphans now? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events