Permission to create projects without having other admin rights

Bonnie_Cresswell June 19, 2018

From what I can find in documentation, in the config settings, and on community I don't think it is possible to give someone the ability to create a project in Jira Software without also giving them administration rights in other areas of Jira Software (i.e. a person that can create a project can also create/edit statuses, create/edit workflows, etc) - I'm asking here because I can't believe that these things can't be separated...?? - any advice appreciated!!

6 answers

3 votes
Wolfgang -Litew8 GmbH-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Bonnie_Cresswell

you are correct, that for company-managed projects it is not possible without third party app. As you haven't accepted an answer, I wanted to show you how simple it can be to allow users to create projects without giving them Jira administrator permission using our cloud app Project Templates for Jira

Step 1: 
Create a custom project template based on an existing project or Jira native template.

Create Custom Template.png

Step 2:
Define the Project Creation Permission for this specific project template.

Permission.PNG

Step 3:
Activate the project template and your non-admins are ready to create Jira projects based on it.My first template.png

3 votes
Prakhar Srivastav {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

@Bonnie_Cresswell

Yes. You are right.

However there is an add-on which can does that for you. It lets you create project template and then create a trusted group of users who can create projects from those templates.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Regards

Prakhar

Bonnie_Cresswell June 19, 2018

Thanks Prakhar - but I'm using Cloud so that's not available to me :(

1 vote
Jamie Russell December 7, 2023

Old thread, but I don't see the answer here so I'll share:

• Open Jira Settings -> System -> Global permissions 
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom 
  • Under Grant Permission, select Create team-managed projects from the Grant drop-down
  • Select the Group from the Group drop-down (jira-software-users seems a logical choice, but your use case may vary)
  • Hit the add button

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 1.30.03 PM.png
1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2018

Hello,

There are independent projects, which do not require admin rights. You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/managing-independent-projects-942834582.html

Bonnie_Cresswell June 20, 2018

Hi Alexey, thanks for your response, we don't allow the ability to create independent projects, apologies I should have given more detail about our setup I guess - we have set up a set of statuses, workflows, screens, all the necessary schemes etc against a "dummy" project and we need a user to be able to create projects based on that shared configuration (we want all projects to follow the same process)...

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2018

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give access to create a project to a non-admin user in Jira Cloud. That is what the independent projects are for.

Like bpelay likes this
0 votes

Hi @Bonnie_Cresswell ,

I am the Product Manager of Templating.app .

This app allows administrators to create templates for company managed projects. They can even define users and groups who should be able to use those templates. 

A nice feature is also that administrators can add more user friendly descriptions for schemes and scheme types, making it easier for users to understand their options (if allowed by an administrator). 

The usability is really good and you can even create templates for issue hierarchies and subtasks.

Just let me know if you have any questions 💜.

Cheers,

Sarah 

Bildschirm­foto 2024-03-25 um 22.52.06.png

0 votes
Christian Mahlknecht March 13, 2020

are there any news? is this possbile for Jira Software Cloud? 

Sanika Joshi March 3, 2022

Nope. You can follow the issue here, but the ticket is 19 years old, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-1431

Suggest an answer