New Jira Issue view - sorting comments

Lara Krefski March 11, 2021

I am using the new Jira issue view. I would like to know how to sort comments on that screen. I would like to sort them by date in descending order. According to this page, it says "In the new issue view, each user can sort their comments by newest or oldest first from the issue itself.". I cannot figure out how to do it. Please give me instructions on how to sort them.

Thank you

7 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2021

So I believe that article has a flaw. This is a system wide setting unless I am mistaken. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2021

Hi @Lara Krefski

it looks this is a feature which is already rolled out to some Cloud sites but not to all.

Another user posted an interesting screenshot where one can see how this looks like:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/New-Jira-issue-view-Comment-from-anywhere-and-New-Sorting/qaq-p/1633913

However, I understood from the linked thread the feature has some other implication by means of a design flaw - so there is a Suggestion linked to make it better.

Regards,
Daniel

Lara Krefski March 22, 2021

Thank you. I hope we get this feature soon.

Like Mayur Jadhav likes this
1 vote
Mihai Lupescu April 6, 2021

FOR ATLASSIAN SUPPORT - this ever changing of the issues layout without announcing first is not helping us the community of users. As you can see from the comments above this is creating a lot of confusion and grief. Please make up your mind on what goes from DEV to QA to PROD and stick to a more consistent behavior in order to avoid the subsequent confusion.

On the topic at hand please provide an update as why the feature was removed and when it will come back. 

Thank you.

Todd Wilson April 6, 2021

I ended up subscribing to something called Jira Core (I'm sorry I can't remember where I did that), and Jira Core emailed me these 2 things related to it overnight:

Option to sort comments is temporarily disabled in the new issue view.

New incident: Investigating

Due to an ongoing issue, we have disabled the option to sort the comments in the new issue view. We would have an update in one day.

Time posted

Apr 6, 03:30 UTC

Option to sort comments is temporarily disabled in the new issue view.

Incident status: Identified

The issue has been identified and a fix is being implemented.

Time posted

Apr 6, 03:30 UTC

1 vote
Lara Krefski April 1, 2021

I too had the feature for a day or two and now it is gone. I wonder if it was rolled back.

Ryan Marks April 6, 2021

Looks like it was rolled back. 

I had this feature on March 30 and notice this week it is gone.  

0 votes
Todd Wilson April 1, 2021

The ability so toggle/sort comments was released this week.  It was present for a few days, but is no longer there.  Does anyone know if it was rolled back?

https://kofaxinc-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/todd_wilson_kofax_com/ETU8ZX83Nz5Gj_Ka6uIVsA4BqIxbBloz4AZ_2ipfEJVmYQ?e=CDVp39

Matt Lane April 2, 2021

My organisation is in the same boat. That's my best guess too, that it was rolled back.

@Jack Brickey @Daniel Ebers can you please confirm if this is the case?

On another note...

When it was available for those few days in our instance, many of us (including myself) liked to use the view by 'Oldest' first option. But boy, it was a little annoying that once the thread of comments got long, it would collapse the most recent comments at the bottom of the list... making it easy for those later comments to be overlooked.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2021

Yes it appears to have been rolled back. I suspect some wonkiness insured and they need to clean up before reenabling. Yes that was the behavior when it was available. Maybe it will be different when it returns.

0 votes
Matt Lane March 22, 2021

I too saw that feature popup telling us that New Issue View has comment sorting ability. And a colleague asked me about that very feature just yesterday and whether it was available in the New View.

Hopefully feature update is rolled out to our instance soon, looks like we are missing that functionality at present in New Issue View.

0 votes
PC March 11, 2021

Hi Lara

So if you can follow this.

Go to any task..

On top right hand corner, you will see the gear icon.

2021-03-12 12_50_50-Clipboard.jpg

so click on it and select System

2021-03-12 12_52_00-Clipboard.jpg

From new opened page, it should already be in General Configuration.  Far right side, you will see Advanced Settings.

2021-03-12 12_53_59-Clipboard.jpg

yes.. click on it..  you will see "jira.issue.actions.order" from the list below/

2021-03-12 12_55_29-Clipboard.jpg

now you can change from asc to desc.

Hope this helps..  

Cheers

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2021

Yes that is in the article she referenced. However, the article indicates that “...each user can sort their comments...” which I don’t think is possible. 

PC March 11, 2021

Yes Jack.  I agree with you.  I dont think its rolled out yet.  Maybe it will in future.  I was just helping Lara with following instructions on the linked page.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Lara Krefski March 15, 2021

Thank you both. I'm hoping in the future the users can sort it themselves instead of it having to be a system-wide change.

Like Kelly Jobe likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events