Is there a way to use automation to fill in a required field during a workflow transition?

Ryan Cabanas August 18, 2020

Hi,

I have an automation that attempts to perform a workflow step transition, but I am using a transition screen during this transition and on that transition screen I require a comment to be added.   Is there a way to get automation to automatically fill in some static text for this required "Comment" field on the transition screen, thus allowing the automation to complete the workflow step transition?  Right now it fails because of this requirement.

Thanks!

5 answers

0 votes
Jordan Richter December 8, 2021

@Ryan Cabanas I was wanting to do the same thing. Any luck figuring this out?

Ryan Cabanas December 9, 2021

No.  I don't think so.  It's been a long time now, though, so I can't remember, but I feel like if I had found a solution, I would have posted it back here for my own historical reference because I forget everything if it's not written down.  :D

Jordan Richter December 9, 2021

I actually did just figure it out, thanks to another post here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Status-change-during-automation-using-validator/qaq-p/1380663

Worked perfectly for me!

0 votes
Jordy Schoemaker October 27, 2020

Just ran into this issue myself. As a workaround I created an additional transition with a Condition 'Hide from user'. This transition can still be used by automation rules and thus allows me to keep the other (manual) transition with the transition screen and required comment field.

0 votes
Stooz The Stoozer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

You cant add text pre the transition, so you would need to remove it from being mandatory and add the text after as a post function.

Thanks.  Yeah.  I was hoping to not have to remove the mandatory factor.  I want users to be required to enter a comment when transitioning manually.  Thanks.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Automation can only accomplish this after the transition. Why not just do this as part of the transition using post function?

Okay.  Thanks.  Sounds like what I want to do can't be done, then.

I want to leave the field required so that if a user were to make this workflow step transition, they will be required to add a comment.  The requirement would still stand for the automation process, as well, but I was looking to just give the automation static text to use.  It doesn't sound like this is possible, though.

Thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events