How to move the Custom Field info From Next Gen to Classic projects?

Prabhu Chilukuri March 15, 2021

Hi Team,

I have tried to move the Next Gen Issues to Classic project. But not able to move the custom field info to Classic. I have created the custom fields same as in Next Gen projects.

Please kindly assist in this issue,

PFB Screenshot for your reference,

next Gen Custom Field issues.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2021

Hi Prabhu,

This is not possible - custom fields created in Next-gen project are only available for that project and cannot be shared or "moved" to other projects. You have to create a new custom field to be used in other projects. 

However, if you have a shared custom field outside of Next-gen projects, it can be used with multiple Classic Software, JSM, or Business type projects

PRABHU naidu March 15, 2021

Hi John,

Thanks for the info,

FYI, I've already created the custom fields outside of Next gen. Seems like there no option to move the custom fields data to classic directly.

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2021

Hello @Prabhu Chilukuri ,

Normally if you go to the next step, you should have the opportunity to map these fields with your new custom fields in your classic project don't you ?

Prabhu Chilukuri March 15, 2021

HI Guilhem,

Thanks for the Reply,

There was no option to map the Custom fields.

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Another option would be to export the issues of your next-gen project in an Excel of CSV file, and then re-import it in the classic Jira project.

This should allow you to make sure that your old fields are mapped to the correct new fields

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

I work strictly with Classic projects rather than next-gen, but from my research it appears that you may not be able to move data in custom fields in next gen projects to classic projects using the Move option.

See this post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-convert-quot-next-gen-quot-project-to-quot-classic-quot/qaq-p/933703

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events