How to clear completed sprint from a ticket?

Nick Pavlichek February 12, 2020

I need to remove  a completed sprint from a story/bug. JIRA has always prevented this, but you could bulk edit the sprint field to null and it would clear the completed sprints. 

It seems they have recently updated this to prevent bulk edit from clearing completed sprints. 

Does anyone have any other workarounds?

6 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

12 votes
Answer accepted
Lisa Cooney July 7, 2020

Until this bug is fixed, when you need to clear the sprint field from completed tickets:

1. Bulk edit the tickets and assign them all to a future sprint (this strips out all previous sprint assignments connected to these tickets and changes it to the one new future sprint)

2. Bulk edit the tickets to change the workflow to move them back to the backlog

3. Open up the Backlog view

4. Drag the tickets out of the sprint into the backlog (this clears the sprint field)

5. Open up each ticket and place it back into the status you need it to have

Voila! 

Tony Rossiter October 16, 2020

@[deleted] thanks for this tip!  Worked great for me

Denis Howe April 14, 2021

Thanks Lisa.  To summarise:
* You can't edit an issue to remove an old sprint
* You can't bulk edit an issue to remove an old sprint
* Editting an issue to add a future sprint doesn't remove an old sprint

Bulk editting the sprint to set some existing future sprint does clear the old sprint.

You can then just edit the issue's sprint.

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2020

Hello @Nick Pavlichek ,

The behavior you are describing with Bulk operations no longer clearing the sprint field is a Bug we are tracking here:

Make sure to add yourself as a watcher if you would like to receive updates on the bugs status.

Currently removing an issue from a sprint requires reopening the closed spring and moving the issue from the active sprint to the backlog then re-closing the sprint, details on reopening a closed sprint can be seen here:

Regards,
Earl

Nick Pavlichek February 20, 2020

Thanks for the response! will follow that bug

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Missy Gee June 1, 2022

I am unable to follow this Bug. 

There's 99 people watching. Does Atlassian have an ETA as to when this will be fixed?

Shai Sumpter July 14, 2022

@Missy Gee I'm having the same issue. Did you find a solution?

1 vote
Lisa Jenkins April 18, 2022

I'm watching the ticket Earl referenced. I tried Lisa's work around twice and it's not working. Am I understanding this correctly that there is no current option to remove an active (TO DO) ticket from a closed sprint? 

0 votes
mohansaiteki August 29, 2022

While editing sprint label make sure your search contains only Parent Ticket and doesn't contains any child tickets.

0 votes
Roberta Bortolotti August 17, 2022

Lisa's workaround works for me.

0 votes
Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

This worked for me!  The trick is to do the bulk edit for the Sprint.  Not doing that, will not yield the same results.  Once I did a bulk edit, the old values are indeed stripped out.  

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question