How do I automatically clone an existing issue using JIRA Automation Rules?

SHEHZADALI ISMAILY May 25, 2022

How do I setup an automation rule that clones an existing issue and drops in into a sprint backlog the moment I create the new sprint backlog?

2 answers

0 votes
SHEHZADALI ISMAILY May 25, 2022

Looking for the trigger to be the creation of a new sprint backlog.

So in other words, when I create a new sprint backlog, that sprint backlog will become populated with one or more cloned issues.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Will the sprint already exist when the automation to clone the issue is triggered?

How do you want to trigger the rule that clones the issue? Is that going to be a manual trigger or is there an event that happens on an issue that can be used as the trigger condition?

There is a "Clone Issue" action available in the Automation Rules, but you first have to decide how the rule will get triggered.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 5.05.47 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

@SHEHZADALI ISMAILY 

There is a Trigger for "Sprint Created".

The next step is to tell the automation which issues you want to clone. You can add a Branch Rule/Related Issue step and provide a JQL to specify the issues.

After that you would add an action to Clone Issue.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.07.22 PM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events