Copy label from epic, when a new issue is created or linked to an epic

Khan Mohsin Sikandar August 17, 2022

Hello team,

What should be the Jira automation steps, if I want:

- Any new issue created under an epic OR created and later linked to an epic, gets the label of that epic

I saw a lot of automation tips in community but they are specifically to transfer labels from epic to child issues when an epic label is changed. However I want an automation to add label from the epic when a new issue is created under the epic or moved to the new epic. 

Please can you help. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Hello @Khan Mohsin Sikandar 

Welcome to the community.

I believe you will need two rules.

One rule would be triggered on Issue Created. The other would be triggered by the issue being added to an Epic.

The below apply to Company Managed projects. The rules for Team Managed projects would be different because those project types use the Parent field instead of the Epic Link field.

Rule #1 - When issue created

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.11.10 AM.png

Rule #2 - When Epic Link is changed (adding issue to Epic or changing the Epic it is in)

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.07.26 AM.png

Mohsin Khan August 21, 2022

Thanks ever so much. This looks awesome. Especially second one was real tough for me without your help. I have activated both for testing. If I have any doubts, I will get back. Thank you for your quick response. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events