Can I use issue property to trigger the Automation rule?

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to use issue properties as an Automation trigger. For example when the issue property gets updated (issue.property.XX).

I was looking around and couldn't find the way to do it so I assumed it's not possible but I just wanted to double-check if that's really the case.

Thank you,

Nikki 🤓

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hey Nikki,

I am not aware of any rule triggers that could take advantage of that. Maybe using a webhook that gets fired when it changes? But that gets into stuff way beyond my expertise. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ 

Yes, and...to what John notes:

I tried a couple of experiments with automation rules and updating entity properties...I found neither the generic "issue updated" trigger fires nor is the change recorded in the issue history.  And, I could not find any suggestions to add this capability in the Jira Cloud or Code Barrel public backlogs.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Hi @John Funk @Bill Sheboy ,

thank you so much for clarifying this, much appreciated 🙏

Like John Funk likes this
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 13, 2022

@Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ - how did you guys work around the problem? We have a similar problem with a read_only CF that's controlled by an issue property.

Thanks, Ulrich

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2022

@Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ Issue properties aren't possible to be used as triggers but I saw you're using a custom field in your automation, let me continue the conversation there.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events