Can I create automation using parent/child relationships when the sub-tasks are custom

Lesly Cracchiolo December 23, 2020

Howdy!

I have a project that has two different types of Sub-Tasks attached to Stories and Bugs. We have Dev Task and QA Task (I have created each of these as a Sub-Task custom issue type).

I am trying to use automation to transition both the Story and the two different Sub-Tasks through the workflow at different times, but I don't see a clear way to differentiate between the two Sub-Task types. For Example:

image.pngIn this instance, I want ONLY the QA Task (Sub-Task) to transition and not the Dev Task (Another Sub-Task) to remain untouched, but I am only able to select "Sub-Tasks" from the type of related issue drop down and not the individual custom issue types. 

I thought about using JQL to say issuetype = "QA Task", but it seems like that pulls ALL the QA Tasks in the project and not just the child of the trigger issue. 

Any suggestions would be helpful! 

Thank you :) 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2020

Hi @Lesly Cracchiolo  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

After your branch, and before the transition, have you tried to add a condition to test for the sub-task type you want?

Best regards,

Bill

Lesly Cracchiolo December 23, 2020

You're a genius! I'll try this out and accept the answer if it works! 

THANK YOU!!!!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events