Bug - custom fields named Description and Summary

Ondřej Medek June 25, 2021

I can create custom fields Description and Summary and that cause errors in the settings page.

1. So, I have a team managed, scrum project and my language is not English .
  2. I go to the project settings page, choose issue type, e.g. Story and create custom fields named "Description" and "Summary", no problem.
  3. I switch my language to English.
  4. Go back to the Settings page for Story and it shows 4 red error icons that filed names are wrong.

Jira settings (errors especially) should not be dependent on the user's language. E.g. what is one user has English and the other non-English language?

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2021

Howdy Y'all,

Looking at this we can reproduce the error and it does look like a new bug caused by the language translation allowing the duplication of the reserved system field names, I created the following Bug report so we can follow up on this:

Make sure to add yourself as a watcher if you would like to receive updates on the status, and add any additional comments to the bug report if you have any additional information.

Regards,
Earl

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

I would call the fields by a different name - Maybe even Summary2 or Description2 and see if that helps you. 

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

Hi @Ondřej Medek  - Why are you creating custom fields with names that are exactly the same as existing system fields? Why not just use those fields? 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2021

Hi @Ondřej Medek 

Adding to what John suggests, only a site admin for a paid account can submit a defect to Atlassian.  Please ask your site admin to submit what you perceive to be the issue.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2021

:-)   Okay, let me see if I can get someone from Atlassian to get eyes on it. 

0 votes

This form leads back to here, Atlassian Community, because I have just a free Jira Cloud subscription 😀

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2021

Okay, I understand better now. However, this is not the best place to report a bug as Atlassian might not ever see it. 

You should report it here: 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

0 votes

I do not manage any real Jira project, I do not need to setup any particular project at the moment. I am reporting a bug in Jira settings, which may affect other users.

Note: Other users may create such custom fields, like "Description" and  "Summary" if they do not use English language) and my script should be able to download such custom fields.

0 votes

Hi @John Funk I am creating a configurable script which would download issues from Jira API. The script must have configurable custom fields names to work with different project. So, I do not manage any real Jira project, but want to prepare my script for various custom fields types and names a project may contain.

During my work, I have hit this bug.

Suggest an answer