Automation: Can I use a custom transition as an automation trigger?

Miles Monty July 30, 2020

I'm trying to setup an automation rule that triggers when a custom transition is used. 

Example: I have a custom transition that allows an issue to be moved from two statuses to Done, which causes some fields to be amended.

However, this is not the only transition from those two statuses to Done, so I can't use the simple Issue Transitioned trigger. 

Can I use Jira's automation for this? 

Cheers in advance! 

3 answers

0 votes
Dora Lukin July 12, 2021

Hi, this is old, but I just found your question while searching for the solution to the same thing.

I decided to resolve it by adding a new custom field which is updated by this specific custom transition only. Then I made the editing of this field the trigger for the automation.

BR

Dora

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi Miles,

I assume you have Conditions on the multiple transitions going to the same status. What if you used the simple transitioned trigger and added the same conditions right after that in your rule? If there are not unique conditions, how are you able to execute in your workflow? How does the user know which one to use? 

We actually use a lot of workflows with multiple transitions to the same status (especially Done) and this seems to work for us. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2020

hmmm, don't think so. Are there any conditions unique to these transitions that you could rely upon. If so then you could still use the Transition trigger. TBH, I have never deployed a WF where multiple transitions exist between the same two statuses.

Miles Monty July 31, 2020

Thanks for the quick reply! 

Damn, that's a shame. Sadly no there aren't any unique conditions for this transition either :( 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events