Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automatic Sprint Completion and Creation

Using the Automation Features within Jira. Is there a way to automatically close a sprint at the end date and create a new sprint of the same duration and lastly. Move all open issues to the newly created sprint.

2 answers

Hi @Aaron 

Short answer, there is no built-in, out of the box JIRA feature to automatically start/close sprints in the Cloud version.

There is a suggestion to add this capability, which you can review and vote for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20563

I did not see a way to automatically start/close a sprint on either the marketplace or using the REST API.  There may be a way to do this using scripting add-ons.  If interested on this route, please try a search on that approach.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill, how are you?  Long time no see.  I have someone that wants to automatically create all sprints for all teams through automation.  They are moving over from a different platform and are used to this feature.  They want all Scrum teams to have the same sprint number and to start and end of the same day.  Sounds like I need to do some looking around.  

Hi, Rick!  I'm well, and thanks for asking.

Are you on cloud or server/data center?  And if cloud, which version: free, standard, premium, etc.?  Regarding automatic sprint scheduling/management...

• There are some posts in this community forum about how to automate these on server/data center using scripting add-ons from the marketplace
  • I believe there are some built-in capabilities for the cloud premium edition's advanced roadmap, although I do not know the details on that
  • For cloud, non-premium editions, sprints would need to be created and started at a project level.  It is not yet possible to do this with automation rules (suggestion to do so here

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
John Atlassian Team Jul 22, 2020

Hi Aaron,

We don't have an action available for closing/opening sprints in Jira automation. There is a public ticket tracking this feature request here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-704

Cheers,
John

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

332 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you