Advanced Automation - Creation of a specific issue type triggers creation of related issues

Gail June 16, 2022

Sounds simple but.....

• When issue type ABC is created manually THEN
    • Create issue type DEF and make its start date 21 days before the parent issue's due date AND make its due date 14 days before the parent issue's due date

They have a bunch of other issues to be auto-created, but the conditions are similar so no need to list them all.

CALLOUT!   This is in a team-managed project, but I think the same logic may apply to company-managed.   I have no experience in team-managed projects.

I am not sure how to set the date logic.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Hi @Gail 

How far did you get? Where exactly are you struggling? Could you show a screenshot of your rule and show us where exactly (date logic) the problems are?

Best
Stefan

Gail June 17, 2022

Hi Stefan.  Honestly I did not get far.  I'm hung up on how to do the following:

On the new subtasks created from trigger issue (...when new issue type Webinar is created) I have no idea how to set the new subtask start date and due date based on its parent.   I think it requires branching, but I'm pretty sure my last steps in the screenshot are wrong.    

ThanksScreen Shot 2022-06-17 at 8.57.57 AM.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2022

Hi @Gail 

As far as I got your requirement right the rule in the attached screenshot should deliver the expected result:

image.png

Please let me know if this works and was helpful.

Best
Stefan

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Gail June 21, 2022

Thanks Stefan - I will give it a try.   :)

Gail June 21, 2022

it is PERFECT!   Thanks a million!!

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2022

Awesome! You‘re welcome ;)

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Have you reviewed the documentation on using Smart Values for the trigger issue to set values in the issue being created by the automation?

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/what-are-smart-values/

Gail June 17, 2022

Thanks Trudy.  Yes I did view this but not sure how it applies when I'm using a parent and child issue.   I use smart values all the time in JSM.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events