Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What versions of Tomcat is included with JIRA 6.3?

Adela Morales February 17, 2015

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2015

A general answer is that it depends on exactly what you're downloading.  JIRA 6.3.x may be different from JIRA 6.3.y for any number of reasons.

I suspect it might be easier to ask why you are asking this question?   There are definitely very good reasons for asking, but there's every chance that just giving you the exact Tomcat version is not going to be useful for you.

Yossi Zinger February 17, 2015

It ships with Tomcat 7.

Adela Morales February 18, 2015

We currently have JIRA 6.1.2 with the bundled version Tomcat 7.0.29. We used the "Windows Installer" method. Our internal IT group is asking that we upgrade the JIRA host to Tomcat 7.0.55. Based on what I read in the JIRA documentation, if we had used the WAR JIRA install method then upgrading Tomcat is possible. I figured that maybe it would be more beneficial to upgrade JIRA to the latest 6.3.x thus picking up a newer version of Tomcat. Upgraded to 6.2.x is also possible if it has Tomcat 7.0.55 or higher. thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

I thought it might be that. It's about the only good reason for needing to worry about the Tomcat version - someone in IT has a security/stability/other worry about a particular release of Tomcat. Yes, you have read the documentation correctly, if you had used the WAR version, you could just upgrade Tomcat and deploy your WAR into it. However, the installers do not work like that. To upgrade the Tomcat deployed by the installers, you have to do a bit of surgery - effectively removing the distributed Tomcat and replacing it with the new version, without upsetting any of the config or settings that the installers have created. Sadly, Atlassian have decided not to distribute WAR versions any more, which is a royal pain for those of us who need to be able to handle our own Tomcats (or other unsupported web app servers) And to answer the question, Jira 6.3.5 ships with Tomcat 7.0.52 based on a look at the one I've just fired up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events