Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up Service Desk Automation

David Work Sr November 2, 2018

I can't set up Service Desk Automation. I get this error:

"Choose a different user so your automation rules will run as intended

The selected user has been deleted.

You can make an exception to this default user in the set-up of individual rules.

The rules won't run as you intend unless the user you've chosen:

• can view issues in this service desk
  • has permission to perform the actions in this rule"

.. and there are no users to select. If I add a custom rule, and attempt to set a user, I get this error:

"Run rule as: Project default (Invalid user)"

I have no idea how to set up a user with appropriate permissions and how to remedy this issue. I also don't see where project default users are set up.

11 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Sekhar Vajjhala March 1, 2022

I wasted a good 30 min on this. Thanks to the person who suggested "And if you try to type a name, it does not appear? ". Terrible UX and since 2018!!!

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2018

Hello,

Go to project settings -> automation to change the default user:

Screenshot 2018-11-03 at 08.52.39.pngYou can grant the Browse Projects permission to user if you go to project settings -> permissions

David Work Sr November 4, 2018

The problem is that there are NO users with acceptable permissions. I have several roles for "Browse Projects" and have roles listed in every category, but again, there are NO users displayed or available for selection.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2018

Are these users granted a Jira Service Desk license?

Yes. I'm really only concerned with me -- I'm the site admin with permissions to everything. NO user shows up, not even me.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2018

And if you try to type a name, it does not appear? 

Like # people like this

Now I feel totally stupid. Yes, if I type into the field, names appear. I was thrown because no names showed up on the initial drop down. This seems to fix the problem. Thank you.

Like # people like this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2018

You are welcome! I also think that it is not a good behaviour, if users are not shown if you open the list of users without typing a name. Hopefully, it will be fixed later.

Like # people like this
Sergio Pedercini November 15, 2019

I'm here for the same issue and this thread helped me to solve the problem. Thank you. But... really, this is a really big HOLE in your software UX. Please fix it. :-)

Like # people like this
Paul Joyce January 8, 2020

yep. worst bit of UX for the week.

Like # people like this
Tina September 1, 2020

Thank you for posting this.  I've been doing search after search trying to figure out why there are no users. And here you go, start typing the name instead of using the drop down.  Thank you!!!!!

Like # people like this
Ben Rhodes November 3, 2020

Just adding to the list of people who hadn't started typing the name and was searching for an answer. Thanks for the extra level of detail.

Like Alessandro Lombardo likes this
3 votes
Jordan Sokolic May 7, 2020

Please fix this, Atlassian.

Terrible UX.

3 votes
Steve Norris February 25, 2020

I just wasted 20 minutes on this as well.  At least I know I'm not alone in this world.

1 vote
Alessandro Lombardo May 21, 2020

I found the same problem, Please fix it . I can't change the default user that makes the rule run.

Sergio Pedercini May 21, 2020

Yes, you can Alessandro, take a look inside the discussion of the accepted answer. It's enough you start typing a name in the input field, to see the list of the available users. ;-) 

Like Alessandro Lombardo likes this
Alessandro Lombardo May 21, 2020

YEAH, it's correct. I'm sorry, I missed some answers in this discussion. Thank you very much

1 vote
Christopher Jones May 12, 2020

Thanks for the thread.  Still crappy in May 2020.

1 vote
Tony Schaps April 1, 2020

Still a thing in April 2020, glad I found this thread. Thanks!

0 votes
Nick Savage January 20, 2022

Good grief it's still an issue. Spent 20-30 minutes until stumbled onto this page.

0 votes
Stefano Stella January 7, 2022

Still an issue as of Jan 2022... @atlassian, please fix this, along with dark UI

0 votes
Eva Suárez November 15, 2021

Same issue. Until I found the article I kept thinking it had something to do with permissions as no names were displayed in the drop down menu. 

0 votes
Mohammed AlSayed May 11, 2021

so I am not alone, I faced the same issue and could not figure it out until I reached this thread 

it's really something that need be reconsidered by JIRA UX team.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events