• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to set up Service Desk Automation

I can't set up Service Desk Automation. I get this error:

"Choose a different user so your automation rules will run as intended

The selected user has been deleted.

You can make an exception to this default user in the set-up of individual rules.

The rules won't run as you intend unless the user you've chosen:

• can view issues in this service desk
  • has permission to perform the actions in this rule"

.. and there are no users to select. If I add a custom rule, and attempt to set a user, I get this error:

"Run rule as: Project default (Invalid user)"

I have no idea how to set up a user with appropriate permissions and how to remedy this issue. I also don't see where project default users are set up.

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hello,

Go to project settings -> automation to change the default user:

Screenshot 2018-11-03 at 08.52.39.pngYou can grant the Browse Projects permission to user if you go to project settings -> permissions

The problem is that there are NO users with acceptable permissions. I have several roles for "Browse Projects" and have roles listed in every category, but again, there are NO users displayed or available for selection.

Are these users granted a Jira Service Desk license?

Yes. I'm really only concerned with me -- I'm the site admin with permissions to everything. NO user shows up, not even me.

And if you try to type a name, it does not appear? 

Like # people like this

Now I feel totally stupid. Yes, if I type into the field, names appear. I was thrown because no names showed up on the initial drop down. This seems to fix the problem. Thank you.

Like # people like this

You are welcome! I also think that it is not a good behaviour, if users are not shown if you open the list of users without typing a name. Hopefully, it will be fixed later.

Like # people like this

I'm here for the same issue and this thread helped me to solve the problem. Thank you. But... really, this is a really big HOLE in your software UX. Please fix it. :-)

Like Alessandro Lombardo likes this

yep. worst bit of UX for the week.

Like # people like this

Thank you for posting this.  I've been doing search after search trying to figure out why there are no users. And here you go, start typing the name instead of using the drop down.  Thank you!!!!!

Like # people like this

Just adding to the list of people who hadn't started typing the name and was searching for an answer. Thanks for the extra level of detail.

I just wasted 20 minutes on this as well.  At least I know I'm not alone in this world.

Please fix this, Atlassian.

Terrible UX.

Still a thing in April 2020, glad I found this thread. Thanks!

Thanks for the thread.  Still crappy in May 2020.

I found the same problem, Please fix it . I can't change the default user that makes the rule run.

Yes, you can Alessandro, take a look inside the discussion of the accepted answer. It's enough you start typing a name in the input field, to see the list of the available users. ;-) 

YEAH, it's correct. I'm sorry, I missed some answers in this discussion. Thank you very much

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

148 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you