Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking field changes for reporting purposes?

Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2023

In JSM, we have managers that want to track changes to the Components field for reporting purposes.

Has anyone done anything like this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Paul Madison - There are marketplace apps that can help with this, but if you want something native, you could do something with a custom field and automation.

1. Create a paragraph field to store the log of changes.  For this example, I'm calling mine Component Log and I've set the field configuration to use wiki renderer so I can make it look a little prettier.
  2. Create an automation rule to populate the new field:
    • TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Component)
    • IF CONDITION: Component Log is empty
      • ACTION: Edit Field (Component Log)
        • ||Date||Previous Component||New Component||Changed By||
          |{{now}}|{{fieldChange.fromString}}|{{fieldChange.toString}}|
    • ELSE
      • ACTION: Edit Field (Component Log)
        • {{issue.Component Log}}
          |{{now}}|{{fieldChange.fromString}}|{{fieldChange.toString}}|
  3. Create a filter that will serve as the backend for a dashboard that can present this info:
    • "Component Log" IS NOT EMPTY
  4. Use the Filter Results gadget with the key and Component Log fields displayed
Christian Bellmore August 25, 2023

Hi @Mark Segall! Thank you so much for this. We started using these for our projects and they worked like a charm!

I was just curious though: is it possible for these logs to show data prior to when the automation was created? We only started using these a few days ago, so the data we have is only from then. Is there a way to change this so it can show data from, for example, 30 days before?

Like Mark Segall likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2023

Hi @Christian Bellmore - I think it's possible, but a bit out of my skillset.  You would need to hit the changelog through the API by using the Send Web Request action. Then you'd have to iterate through the response to recreate the log table mentioned above.

Like Christian Bellmore likes this
Christian Bellmore August 25, 2023

@Mark Segall Okay, thank you so much for your help!

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events