Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send email when request is hits a queue?

Ray Terrill June 12, 2018

We want to create queues for our teams (based on components and request types), and have emails sent to those teams when tickets hit their queue, but I can't figure out how to do that. This seems like a super simple request.

The Automation functionality looks promising, but it also looks super limited (specifically this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4309).

How are others solving this?

We do not want to assign issues directly to a single person on the get-go, nor do we really want to assign them to a triage queue when request types will allow us to send them to the correct queue from the beginning.

2 answers

3 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2018

Hi Ray,

For expanded emailing functionality you will want to look at JETI, Automation for JIRA, or one of the other automation tools on the marketplace. 

I personally recommend Automation for JIRA because it will allow you to expand on the stock functionality and is applicable in a huge number of use cases. 

Queues are just filters, so it sounds like you're already prepared to set up each team queue. The only thing that would be left is to set up those same criteria in your automation service to email a team address when a new ticket meets the queue criteria.

My team similarly does this when new tickets are submitted with a custom field checked for 'priority requests' from users. 

Thanks @Meg Holbrook!

Oof. We're just in the eval stage at this point, and this seems like a pretty glaring piece of functionality missing. I'm not sure we're willing to pay an additional license fee just to get usable notifications based on the queues. :(

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2018

Can you give a little background on why you would be basing your workload on emails instead of the queue views? 

I'm a big proponent of ditching email for service desk altogether, which is easily achievable with JSD, so it would help to get an understanding of your bigger picture. 

I can also recommend the JIRA Service Desk/Stride integration available. I have notifications set so that when a new ticket is created that meets specific criteria, certain chat channels are pinged with the update. 

This has allowed our team to functionally reduce the number of notifications and emails going around. 

I'm not wedded to email I guess (we're also a big Slack team), but we need some way to notify teams when tickets hit their queue since they likely won't be working out of JSD all the time. We use email to do that in our current process when tickets hit their queues.

As an example, something like:

• We have a request type created that sets component type = Network
  • A queue is configured to filter on Component type = Network
  • A ticket gets created with the network request type, hitting the network queue
  • The network team is notified that an issue has been created that requires them to work

It looks like I can accomplish this with a webhook and some custom code, but that seems like overkill just to get notifications out of the system.

Definitely open to other more JIRA-like suggestions. I'm like 2 days into JIRA so I'm definitely n00b status. Really appreciate your input! :)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

Quick and hacky way would be to create an email distribution group for each team. 

Create a mock user with that distribution email address to be automatically assigned when the issue comes in and meets queue criteria. 

Notification settings set up to fire at the assignee when assigned. 

So maybe trading an extra license for this functionality. I don’t hate this approach though - this isn’t a terrible setup and mostly mimics what we have now.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2018

Personally I like the automation approach Meg suggest and Automation Lite is free and 'should' get you there. Certainly worth a try.

Another approach - For each queue you can create a filter w/ a subscription. Basically looks like this:

• create a filter for 'Queue 1', e.g. ... created > -5m and component = component1
  • add a subscription to the filter and include the list of users assigned to the queue
  • don't send the notification email if empty

rinse and repeat for all your queues and adjust your filter to align w/ the queues. Basically just copy your queue filter and add the "created > -5m" piece.

@Jack Brickey by "include the list of users" do you mean individually? Is there any way to do that by group or to a distribution list vs by user?

Basically I don't want to email individual users like Jack, Mark, and Dan from the network team when an issue is assigned to their queue - I want to email network@ourcompany.com (I really don't want to have to keep JSD updated when people switch teams, etc).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2018

yep. just add a group and add members to the group. then chose the group for notification in the subscription. you will, of course, need to maintain the group as agents come/go.

I don’t hate this approach, given that we can sync groups from AD (unless I’m mistaken there).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

certainly on server you can.

Ray Terrill June 13, 2018

@Jack Brickey How do I create a subscription? I don't see that in the documentation?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

Once you save a filter you can click on a “details” link at the top. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events