Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict Internal Note Visibility Based On Group/User

juliab January 26, 2021

Thanks Angelica - I have added my vote to this issue. 

Can you provide more detail on how to enact the following?

"Even if he is an internal user, the admin can remove the Service Desk license and let this user in the role "Service Desk Customers" in the project, so he will be able to access the tickets where he is the reporter or participant through the customer portal only. "

I have some managers that I would like to be able to invite as helpdesk browsers/commenters.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2021

Hello @juliab,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When you are an administrator or an agent, you can add customers directly to the project on the customers' page.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 18.41.15.png

If the managers are internal users with access to Jira Software or Confluence, for example, it won't be necessary to give them a Service Management license. If you need them just to access the customer portal to view tickets where they are reporter, participant, or shared with an organization, it will only be necessary to invite them as a customer to the project.

Note that, for them to view and comment on tickets, they must be a participant on that specific ticket.

Regards,
Angélica

juliab January 29, 2021

Thanks Angelica! That helped me figure out what to do. 

For anyone curious, this is what my exact problem and solution were. We are using Jira Cloud - Classic service desk template.

Problem: All Managers at my company used to have Service Desk Agent Roles and have a Jira Service Desk license. This was not ideal because a) cost and b) they could see internal notes. We removed their licenses, but did not realize this left a gap in their ability to view or comment publicly on tickets (the 'Reply to Customer' option disappeared, even if they were approvers or Request Participants). 

Solution: Remove Service Desk Agent Role from Managers (indeed - remove them from the 'People' page. Made sure they were all customers on the Customers page. 

This removed the HelpDesk Project from their Jira view. 

Now, if we need a manager to comment on an issue, or if a user adds and Approver, we add them as a Request Participant. We have informed them in a KB article how to access the tickets only through the portal or via email. All their comments are public, they can no longer see our notes. 

It would be nice if we could add Request Participant directly to the form, but this is not possible on Cloud, as shown in this Jira ticket:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-1511

Cheers! HTH!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
juliab January 29, 2021

Update: If a user "Shares" a ticket with someone after they create it, they get added as a Request Participant and they can view it in the portal and comment publicly!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2021

Hi @juliab,

I'm glad that I could help!

Since you mentioned that you created a KB, I want to share with you an article I created about the customer portal:

Feel free to add it to your KB or use the screenshots and steps in case the managers have other questions about how to use the portal.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Like juliab likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events