Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Field on Customer Portal

Jason Corbett February 6, 2018

I want to make a number of fields 'Required' to ensure that my internal teams are entering one of the defined options within the system.

However, when I mark a field as 'Required', this field now becomes required on the customer facing portal when creating a new incident. e.g. I have marked the 'Root Cause' field as required as I want the team to enter information on what the actual resolution is. When I do that, the root cause field now becomes a mandatory field for the customer creating an incident.

Thanks,

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Jason, 

This is excepted behavior. Any fields that are required for the issue type to be created are also required for the customer to create a custom field. 

I would suggest that you leverage validators instead so that you can require that information when you go to resolve a ticket, but the customer is not required to fill out the information on creation.

Hi Kian,

Thanks for the response. Seems strange that all required fields are also required from the customer perspective.

Can you elaborate on how the Validators will help in this situation? Do these not just check that someone has relevant permissions?

I'll go read up more on them now anyway.

Thanks,

Jason

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Jason, 

It isn't really that strange. From a JIRA perspective, all the customer portal does is provide a different view through which customers create tickets. If you are saying that an issue type is REQUIRED to have a field to be created, it makes sense that it is required when the customer creates that issue as well. 

Validators by default do only provide permissions checking. In several add ons, there are "fields required" validators. By using those in conjunction with a workflow screen, you can require that prior to completing a ticket, you agents fill out the "Root Cause" field.

Check out JIRA Suite Utilites to get an idea of what sort of validators I'm talking about. They are not the only ones that provide functionality do this, just the first one that comes to mind.

Hi Kian,

The fields I want to mark as 'Required' i.e. Root Cause, is not a field that I want required at creation stage. I only want this field populated when the issue is actually resolved or request delivered. Hence I am surprised that this field would show up at the creation stage (for either internal or external). I have the field only linked to a resolution screen, which again is a tad confusing as to why it is showing up in other views.

Thanks,

Jason

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Jason, 

I think that this is just a misunderstanding of how the field configuration schemes work. If the field is marked as "required" in the field configuration scheme you MUST fill it out on creation. If you cannot fill it out (for example, if it isn't on the creation screen) the issue cannot be created.

The validators that I am discussing will allow you to accomplish what you are talking about.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events