cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ticket created for each email response

Seweryn Szatkowski October 18, 2018

Hi,

I'am facing the similar issue that @Gary Rafter had in this question: 
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/JSD-is-creating-a-new-ticket-for-each-email-response/qaq-p/796436 
but I think in my case it has nothing to do with domains. 

Our configuration:

1. We have a project in Jira SD dedicated to only one customer. 
2. Customer sends emails from their ticketing system to our email box (Gmail). It is always the same sender email.
3. We have configured email handler that monitors our box and create tickets when email from our customer appears. In handler we choose option: Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue 
4. When our SD Team respond to this ticket, the answer is added to ticket comment and email is send to customer.
5. When customer answers the separate ticket is created. The subject of email is the same. 

When I run some test with my private Gmail account everything was correct. Answers was properly added to comments of existing ticket. I'm pretty sure that this is something to do with email headers changed somehow in our customer ticketing system but I'm not sure how I can be sure about that. The only info I can find in "atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log" is that "Issue XYZ created" 

We have Jira Service Desk: 3.13.2

Regards 

--

Seweryn

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2018

Hi Seweryn,

May I confirm that the customer is added to the JSD project?

Check if Service desk customer - portal access is added to 'Add Comments' permission for this JSD project.

Comment.png

Regards,
Kelly

Seweryn Szatkowski October 22, 2018

Hi Kelly,
Yes, the Service desk customer - portal access is added to 'Add Comments' for this project. 

My permissions configuration looks as follows:
Customer have email: customer(at)customerdomain.com
This email is added to Developer role in this project. This role have access to:
- Browse projects
- Create issues
- Add comments
- Create attachments

When I add my private email (Gmail) to Developer role I'am able to create tickets and all my reply emails from Gmail are correctly added to Jira ticket as comment, even when I completely change the email subject in Gmail. 
That is why I am wondering if everything is correct with emails on customer side. They do not use any mail client (eg. Outlook, Gmail, etc). They sent email directly from their custom made ticketing system. Maybe this system mess up some email headers? 

BTW, how Jira mail handler process emails to find out if this is a new ticket or the existing one? As I said above when I've changed the email subject Jira still knows that Gmail answer should be added to existing ticket. So I assume that Jira is not looking at the subject but something deeper. 

Regards,
Seweryn

Seweryn Szatkowski October 24, 2018

Hi@KellyW

Any ideas what may be wrong? :)

Best regards 

-- 

Seweryn

KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

Hi Seweryn,

It does sound like problem with the custom email server.

The following points describe how Jira processes each incoming email message and determines how its content gets added as either a comment to an existing issue or a new issue altogether.

• The subject  of an email message is examined for an existing issue key:
    • If an issue key is found in the subject, the content of the email message's body is processed and added as a comment to the issue with that issue key.
    • If an issue key is NOT found in the subject, the in-reply-to header  is examined:
      • If the email message is found to be a reply to another email message from which an issue was previously created, the body is processed and added as a comment to that issue.
      • If the email message is NOT found to be a reply, a new issue is created.

For example, an email message to a mail account foo@example-co.com on a POP or IMAP mail server configured against a Jira server will be processed as follows:

• Issue Creation:
    • The subject of the email message will become the issue summary.
      (warning) Since all issues require a summary, each email message intended for issue creation should include a subject.
    • The body of the email message will be the issue description.
    • A bug will be created for project 'JRA' with the above information. (This is essentially based on the mail handler configuration above).
    • Any attachments to the email message will become attachments to the issue (assuming attachments have been enabled in Jira).
      (info) To ensure compatibility with various operating systems, any of the following characters in the filename will be replaced with an underscore character: \, /, ", %, :, $, ?, *, <, |, >.
    • If the incoming email is set to a high priority, the corresponding issue will be created with a higher priority than the default priority that is set in your Jira system.
  • Comment Creation:
    • The body of the email will become a comment on the issue.
    • Any attachments to the email will become attachments to the issue (assuming attachments  have been enabled in Jira).

Regards,
Kelly

Like # people like this
Seweryn Szatkowski October 30, 2018

Thank you :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events