Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Epic and everything underneath it to new Project

Zara March 19, 2019

My Project is moving into another Project in JIRA.

I have a huge number of Epics, with Stories and the Sub-tasks- is there a way to Bulk move them?

If not, I know there is the Move feature- but it seems like I would have to manually go through each Epic , each story  to change the Project. In this case, can I just move the Epic to the new Project and everything under it (stories and sub-tasks associated) move as well?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

you should create a jql to get the list where you want it, e.g.

issuekey = abc-123 or epiclink = abc-123

then use bulk move to move all issue to the new project. there may be a bit of clean up but it should be relatively quick w/ bulk move

Zara March 19, 2019

@Jack Brickey Could you please explain that a little? Where exactly do I create the JQL?

Do I need to add every story and epic to this JQL?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

replace your Epic id w/ abc-123 above in the two locations and see if that works for you. do this in the advanced issue search screen.

Zara March 19, 2019

@Jack Brickey  This will move all stories and their sub-tasks under the Epic as well?

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2019

yes but as i said there may be some clean up. i recall doing this a long time ago. for example you may find that you need to do it in steps, e.g.

1. move epic, or just create a new one in the new project
  2. move stories then in the new project bulk edit and add the new epic link
  3. i might suggest you add a temp label to all of the issue in the current project so that when you move to the new project you can find them all under a jql that searches for the label.

i hope this is making sense. You can easily set up a test epic w/ a couple stories and try it out first.

Zara March 20, 2019

@Jack Brickey 

Thanks for your help! I had a question. Since the Epic ID is autogenerated when you create an epic, will that change at all? or will it still remain as the same Epic ID?

Example- I create Epic "Make Icecream- it gets an Epic ID of 123 under Project -Desserts.

Now I move Epic ID:123- Make Icecream to Project- Food. Will Epic ID 123 remain as 123 or will that ID change?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2019

it will change as it is specific to the project. Issuekey is proj-# so it will change.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events