JIRA Service Desk returns blank page on portal when running behind Apache2 mod_proxy

Gabriele Turelli October 23, 2014

Hi everyone!
Since Atlassian support told me to ask here, here's my question: 

I have a little problem with my JIRA Service Desk.
My JIRA Service Desk works really fine, even the atlassian support didn't detect any error in my logs.

However, the customer portal, when JIRA is running behind Apache2 with mod_proxy (i have no SSL, everything is on HTTP) appears as a blank page, and doesn't generate any errors (nor in tomcat or in JIRA logs. Even Apache tells that everything is right). When accessing the customer portal (is the only thing affected) directly, everything works fine.

Here is my apache2 configuration and server.xml configuration:

Server.xml: http://pastebin.com/iuEGMVgy
VirtualHost.conf: http://pastebin.com/BHbHaqVF

I hope that someone has some clues on this error and I hope to get some response.
Thank to everyone who will reply me,

Gabriele (aka CappyT)

18 answers

1 vote
Berk Karabacak May 7, 2020

I have the same issue. Portal looks blank page.

• Gzip disabled in Jira.
  • Running with ssl behing nginx.
  • This problem happened suddenly. Proxy and SSL config did not change. 
  • JSD and Jira is the most up to date versions as of today.

jira.log says:

Can't find asset: com.atlassian.servicedesk/banner.json: Path does not exist

On the console it says:

Uncaught ReferenceError: JIRA is not defined
at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (batch.js?locale=en-US:350)
at c (batch.js?locale=en-US:34)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (batch.js?locale=en-US:34)
at ready (batch.js?locale=en-US:34)
0 votes
Yuriy Lozhkin June 3, 2020

@Berk Karabacak Hi! Could you please tell did you manage to solve this problem?

Berk Atlasian June 3, 2020

I could not solve. 

0 votes
Urs Friedli March 3, 2016

We just had a case where a customer had a blank page when trying to access the customer portal through a Firefox browser with javascript deactivated.

To make the portal accessible again the preference javascript.enabled had to be toggled from false to true in about:config.

0 votes
Bruce Reed January 9, 2016

Same problem for me. We cannot render the portal page using a SSL VPN proxy. You end up with a page of AJAX:

"login":{"allowCookies":true,"externalUserManagement":false,"contactAdminLink":"please contact your JIRA administrators","elevatedSecurityCheckShown":false,"loginUrl":"/servicedesk/customer/user/login","canReset":true,"googleApps":{"enabled":false},"sdUserSignUpEnabled":false,"abpEnabled":true,"atlassianId":{"enabled":false}},"globalBranding":{"logoUrl":"/rest/servicedesk/1/customer/viewport-resources/image/1","theme":{"headerBGColor":"#bac9b3","headerLinkColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverBGColor":"#3572b0","headerBadgeColor":"","customCss":""}},"helpCenterBranding":{"headerBGColor":"#bac9b3","headerLinkColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverBGColor":"#3572b0","logoUrl":"/rest/servicedesk/1/customer/viewport-resources/image/1","logoId":"1","helpCenterTitle":"Welcome to the xAd IT Service Center","contentTextColor":"","contentLinkColor":"","sharedPortalName":"xAd IT"},"xsrfToken":"B2YO-Y37K-3XA8-Z2DH|c715f5916e08144cc7cf06721e3628e37909fe3c|lout"}
{"headless":false,"wacLink":"http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk","serviceDeskVersion":"3.1.0-OD-09-001-D20151221T080724","contextPath":"","xsrfToken":"B2YO-Y37K-3XA8-Z2DH|c715f5916e08144cc7cf06721e3628e37909fe3c|lout","baseUrl":"https://XXXXXXX/servicedesk/customer","relativeBaseUrl":"/servicedesk/customer","customerLoginEnabled":true,"maxAttachmentSize":"41943040","gravatarEnabled":false,"onDemand":true,"disabledFeatures":[],"enabledDarkFeatures":["jira.plugin.devstatus.automatic.transitioning","ka.AJAX_PREFETCH","jira.plugin.devstatus.smartcommits.dvcs.enabled","nps.survey.inline.dialog","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasefour.enabled","rotp.admin.shortcuts","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issuenavigator.cachefix","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasetwo","jira.frother.reporter.field","com.atlassian.jira.jira-feedback-plugin","atlassian.rest.xsrf.legacy.enabled","jira.plugin.devstatus.bamboo.enabled","jira.administration.workflow.validation","jira.i18n.eager.caching","ondemand.language.beta","dvcs.connector.smartcommits.disabled","atlassian.connect.dhe.disabled.awl-gebsun.rhcloud.com","jira.issue.status.lozenge","unified.usermanagement","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issuenavigator","com.atlassian.jira.config.PDL","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasetwo.enabled","jira.plugin.fisheye.tab.enabled","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issue.summary.vignettes","atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.PERMISSIONS_MANAGED_BY_UM","app-switcher.new","frother.assignee.field","jira.projectconfig.issuetypes.sidebar","APDEX-517.warmhardcoded","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.ON_DEMAND","jira.plugin.projects.version.tab.feedback.banner","jira.event.mau.logging.disable","rotp.project.create","atlassian.connect.dhe.disabled.aip-flyingagile.rhcloud.com","jira.baseurl.cdn.enabled","fusion.bitbucket.rebrand","ka.STABLE_SEARCH","ka.SEPARATE_VIEWISSUE","jira.bamboo.legacy.force","jira.plugin.devstatus.background.refresh.enabled","ka.SPLIT_VIEW","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.LICENSE_ROLES_ENABLED","ka.AJAX_VIEW_ISSUE"]}

0 votes
Janet Houser October 26, 2015

I have the same problem.   Has anyone found a solution?

0 votes
Admin Zaleos September 21, 2015

@Gabriele Turelli Could you please share again your configuration? I'm also trying to get this working but no luck yet. I'm afraid your pastebin links are expired. Really appreciated, thanks!

0 votes
EricH July 30, 2015

same here

0 votes
Gabriele Turelli June 14, 2015

@David Currie Yes, that was the issue, finally I can use again Service Desk. Should I report that to the JIRA of the Service desk? I think supporting cloudflare is really important.

0 votes
grzegorzpolek March 26, 2015

Same here.

0 votes
Asai February 16, 2015

We're having the same problem.  Simply doesn't render.  Same problem.  AJS not defined.  jQuery not defined.

0 votes
Sascha Schwegelbauer February 10, 2015

Same problem here .. we're also trying to cover the shitty /servicedesk/customer/portal/.......... URIs with a reverse proxy.. encountering "AJS.contextPath() is not here. Please use require("servicedesk/util/context-path")"

0 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2014

Interesting, cloudflare might have something to do with this. You could try disabling the cloudflare acceleration and any SSL if you're using that to see if that makes a difference. The general proxy settings look OK from what I can see of them.

0 votes
Gabriele Turelli October 26, 2014

@David Currie Yes, bypassing the proxy makes the page render correctly...

0 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2014

And if you bypass the proxy (by adding a second connector as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Integrating+JIRA+with+Apache) does the customer portal render? It would be interesting to see if we can isolate out that proxy as a cause or if it's something else

0 votes

@David Currie could be that i'm running behind cloudflare?

0 votes

Yes, using firefox (i will try later with chrome) it shows these two errors on file "batch.js:1" 1) AJS.contextPath() is not here. Please use require("servicedesk/util/context-path") 2) SyntaxError: JSON.parse: bad control character in string literal at line 1 column 459 of the JSON data

0 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2014

If you look in the chrome dev console, is there any errors? You could also try enabling the network tab and checking to see if there are any requests that are returning errors

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2014

Check if you don't have Gzip compressions enabled in JIRA's General Configuration screen.

smile

-- Pedro

Gabriele Turelli October 24, 2014

I know that Jira was causing issues behind apache2 with gzip, but gzip is already disabled...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events