How to remove commas in a Number type Custom Field

JD BALTAZAR July 14, 2021

Hi guys, just raising this issue that we've found out.

When we've created our portal, no issues like this have occurred. It seems that this was a new issue. Now, months have passed, Commas started to appear within our Mobile Number fields. We've researched it and we found out that to be able to eliminate the commas, we should recreate the fields and change the type to text. But at this time, we can't afford to modify the fields because our portal is live and ongoing in production. Are there any ways to solve this issue? See screenshot below for reference. Thank you in advance.

Untitled.png

3 answers

1 vote
Joram Schito June 2, 2023

I have the same issue. Sorry, Atlassian, it shouldn't be a big deal to allow the users to remove the thousands separator, isn't it?

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hi @JD BALTAZAR

unfortunately no solution but I remember a discussion on this the day before:

The idea was to involve a text field - as a workaround.
You could probably use Automation (which is included in your Jira Cloud instance with no additional cost) to make advantage of it.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

@JD BALTAZAR -

I would recommend the following actions - 

1) Please see Atlassian post (NOTE - this not supported by them as stated in the link.  It is a conduct at your own risk type of suggestion.) https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/remove-commas-for-values-held-in-number-field-custom-field-type-646250931.html

2) If this issue just started to happen in your env, then you should submit a formal support request with Alassian support.

From my experience, if the custom field is a "Number data type", it will always insert commas in the value as entered.  

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

JD BALTAZAR July 14, 2021

Hello good day! Thank you for your response. 

For the action number 1, is that solution available for Jira Cloud? I believe that formula is only available to Jira Server.

We've implemented this one a few months ago, and there are no issues like these. Probably there are some events that happened in their backend. If we're not able to solve this one with the solutions available online, I guess our final option is to submit a formal support request just what you've recommended. Thank you.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

@JD BALTAZAR -

Sorry for not mentioning that we are on DC on-prems in my recommendation.  If you find my recommendations helped, please click on "Accept Answer" when you can.  Please also post your finding after you obtained Atlassian responses from your formal support reuqest.

Best, Joseph 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events