Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Jira Service Desk match an email with an issue?

Matthew Harkins February 6, 2018

Service desk uses email channels.  Does Service Desk use the same workflow process to match emails with issues or has this process been designed differently for Service Desk?

There is a workflow diagram for Jira Server that shows the internal rules that Jira uses to process an email and match it with the appropriate Jira Issue.

Cloud example diagram:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-938847641.html

The server documentation claims that the process only uses the first Issue Id found in the subject, but I have found that if no Issue Id is in the subject it also uses the In-Reply-To mail header to match issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-938847641.html#Creatingissuesandcommentsfromemail-Addacommentfromthenonquotedemailbody

I have not been able to locate a similar explanation of the matching process for Jira Service Desk.

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

As Gaston mentions JSD uses a different scheme (simplified) than JSW. You simply set up the email channel for you project (settings > email requests). If the subject of the incoming email has an valid issue key in the subject it will add the body as a comment otherwise a new issue is created.

Matthew Harkins February 6, 2018

If there is no Issue Id in the subject does Service Desk give up looking for matching issues and create a new Issue or does it then interrogate the In-Reply-To mail header  to find a match similar to how the mail handlers in Jira Server work? 

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2018

Matthew,

Email channels works independently of Incomming mail handlers.

Atlassian recommends not to mix the same inboxes in both processes.

I'm not sure if that is your question, let me know if i can help you further

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events