HR Offboarding Form (Sequancial approval vs Non Sequence)

CHESTER RAMOS September 24, 2021

Hi Everyone, I hope this message finds you well.

I am currently creating an HR Employee Offboarding Form (Resigned Employee). Before an employee offboard a company, it is usual for all organizations that an employee gets off-board for several departments, EG 

Sample Steps:
1. HR  (Approval #1 by HR Head) 
2. IT (Returning of IT-Assets) (Approval #2 by IT Head )
3. Admin (returning of Keys) (Approval #3 by Admin Head)
4. Finance (for checking of salary , loans..etc)   (Approval #4 by Finance Head)
...etc 

I initiially though the steps above are sequantial, in other words , the offboarding process will be , before the ticket goes to approval #3, it has to be approved by Approval #1 and #2..

There was a feedback from our HR Deparment, that instead of getting approvals sequantially , is there any way , approval will not be done in sequence; in other words.

1. Employee raises a ticket
2. The ticket will be emailed to individual department heads.
    2.1 Reason for this is to save time, instead of being sequencial. 

Kindly refer to the screen cap of sequantial approvals (first picture, this might take a few days since latter approvals are dependent on approvals)

What I was thinking if JIRA is capabile of doing the second screen capture... 

Sequencial approvals.JPG

Non-Sequence.jpg

3 comments

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2021

Hi Chester,

If you want the work to be done in parallel, I would use subtask, one for each department. I would create them after the first approval from HR. It is the simplest way.

I would also put a condition in the workflow that the parent ticket cannot be closed until the subtasks are closed and only the HR can closed the ticket or have the tickect close by automation when the conditions are met.

CHESTER RAMOS September 25, 2021

Hi @Carmen Nadeau Thanks for this reply. I think I am getting this now. 
But I was wondering , do you happen to advise how are the following done.

1. Once initial parent issue has been approved
   1.1 A mandatory subtask under the parent will be created.
         1.2 Can a subtask be another form? 

2. I do believe a change in custom field (approval) needs to change in order for the status of a subtask to change.

3. Is there anyway I can include the status of subtask (pending/approved) in the parent form?

Thanks 

CHESTER RAMOS September 25, 2021

I am trying to trial and error automation rule, do you think would be possible.

For Primary Issue

1. If "Field" changes status (eg: dropdown field changed to "agree"

then automation triggers creating new forms 

2. New form for IT Department (can a subtask produce a new form?)
    2.1 The new form will have an text field for inputting details)
    2.2 If if this subform is approved, then the Primary Issue will show the status 
          of this sub in the primary issue.

..Repeat for the rest of other department (lets say 3 diffrent departmental forms)

If all the departmenal forms (sub task) are approved, then final primary issue will ask approval from HR..

I was wondering, do those mentioned above done mostly on automation rules?
Also, does the subforms have their own workflows?

Thanks 

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2021

Hi Chester,

Here are some answers, in bold, to your questions:

1. Once initial parent issue has been approved
   1.1 A mandatory subtask under the parent will be created.
         1.2 Can a subtask be another form? 

You can create either a subtask, another issue in the same project or an issue in another project. All with Automation. If it is an issue and not a subtask, during the creation I would create a link between the issue. This link should only be use for those kind of link. The nature of the link can be use with conditions in automation.

2. I do believe a change in custom field (approval) needs to change in order for the status of a subtask to change.

Once again, the action edit customfield with the conditions on the value chosen can be done with automation and can trigger an update to a status or other to the subtask or parent issues

3. Is there anyway I can include the status of subtask (pending/approved) in the parent form?

If you have more than 1 substak it could be difficult to do that. You have to decide what you need to know: when ALL issues are at a specific status ?  when 1 issue has a specific status ? etc

But when you have substask or link issues, you can see their status on the Parent issue, you don't need to add a custom field.

For Primary Issue

1. If "Field" changes status (eg: dropdown field changed to "agree"

then automation triggers creating new forms 

2. New form for IT Department (can a subtask produce a new form?) Yes
    2.1 The new form will have an text field for inputting details)

If you need additionnal input, not found on the Parent form it can get more complicated. I have done this many time and the only way I found was with the Parent workflow (with a special screen and customfields)
    2.2 If if this subform is approved, then the Primary Issue will show the status 
          of this sub in the primary issue.

Again, see my answer to question #3

..Repeat for the rest of other department (lets say 3 diffrent departmental forms)

If all the departmenal forms (sub task) are approved, then final primary issue will ask approval from HR..

You can have a condition that check if all link issues or subtask are at a specific status befor you trigger the last approval step

I was wondering, do those mentioned above done mostly on automation rules?

For anything related to a field update you have to work with automation. Workflows has different strenght than automation, it depends on what you need to do.
Also, does the subforms have their own workflows?

Yes: a workflow for each issuetype is possible.

CHESTER RAMOS October 5, 2021

@Carmen Nadeau  Thanks for the long response. Let me try out your suggestions asap and will provide feedback. 

Like Carmen Nadeau likes this
James Jack September 24, 2021

Mitigate security risks (e.g., reclaiming company assets and revoking employee access to company accounts).
Prevent legal issues (such as contract disputes, compensation, or wrongful termination).
Manage the logistical challenges of transitioning the work/team.
Get valuable feedback for improvement.
Part ways on the best possible terms...

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2021

Hi @CHESTER RAMOS 

You can try to build offboarding process like described in this article onboarding process https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-set-up-Employee-Onboarding-in-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/1799518 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events