cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling transition to same state

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2024

Hello

My issue is in a state "In Progress".

Is there any way I can prevent showing "In Progress" in allowed transition states in workflow. I have many states in workflow and all have transition from any state.

Thanks

Abe

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2024

Hi @AbrahamA I'm betting your using a workflow with global transitions - meaning an issue can transition to any status at any time. That's certainly the easiest way to configure a workflow, but it ends up having the condition you report: issues have options to transition to themselves.

Another option is to remove the global transitions and create individual ones instead. Here's an example: of both methods for comparison.

Diagram Mode

Individual transitions

single-transitions2.png

A workflow with individual transitions between statuses

Notice that in addition to forward transitions (ex: Ready for Review) there are also backward transitions (ex: Fail).

Global transitions

global-transitions2.png

A workflow with global transitions

Notice that global transitions are marked with the "All label".

Text Mode

Individual transitions

single-transitions.png

A workflow with individual transitions between statuses

Global transitions

global-transitions.png

A workflow with global transitions

Notice that global transitions are displayed in italics. You can also tell they are "reused" by their IDs. For example, each status has a transition called "Open". The transition ID is 11 in all 4 uses.

It's also possible to restrict which transitions show with conditions and other hackery, but the above method is much easier. I'd try that first.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

0 votes
Kuan Yi Ming _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2024

Hi @AbrahamA

In addition to what Rachel has shared, you can make use of the Previous Status Condition to hide a transition when an issue is in a specific status.

Regards
Yi Ming

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events